Aquasoil Landslide

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
So I've got a bit of a scaping disaster going on. It looks like this:

landslide.jpg

Almost anything looking like black or aquasoil was a nice carpet of HC that rooted in during dry start. Needless to say, I pushed the angle too steep.

So, any ideas on how to fix this mess? If I move any of the rock, it means tearing up a large part of nicely established dry start HC that's sitting behind it. I can't drain the tank because I've got more shrimp hiding in there than I'll ever be able to catch.

Any ideas on how to patch the mess up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Doesn't Look So Bad

Hi Dan,

I would try dark fiberglass screen (as in window screen) braced and framed at more realistic angle with stainless steel wire.

Or try filling in with rock to make it look complete.

Or just let it grow in and see what happens, I cannot of course see the overall view but I do not think it looks bad. :) then taking artistic or decorating advice from an evil plant monster is a notoriously bad idea. :eek:

Good luck,
Biollante

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
A mesh retainer isn't a half bad idea. I could probably custom fit it, take it out, add some "aquamud" (crushed aquasoil) then do a little dry start on it just to get the HC rooted in.

It's definitely not an option to leave as is; there's the possibility of a LOT more slipping out over time.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Retaining Wall

Philosophos;47716 said:
A mesh retainer isn't a half bad idea. I could probably custom fit it, take it out, add some "aquamud" (crushed aquasoil) then do a little dry start on it just to get the HC rooted in.

It's definitely not an option to leave as is; there's the possibility of a LOT more slipping out over time.

Hi Dan,

If leaving it is not an option then I would build the mold and dry starting sounds like a great idea. If things are still sliding, perhaps removing some of the loose soil. :)

I would also build a small retaining wall out of plastic, placing a brace of dark plastic to the front glass, since there is no way to attach it to the bottom of the tank. The mold can then cover the retaining wall. The brace against the front glass, covered by soil, should not be noticeable if dark plastic is used.

Good luck,
Biollante

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I think I'll run with this idea as a second plan.

Looking at it, I may just be able to re-scape by draining the tank low and putting a mount of aquasoil over the whole front right corner, maybe a little square of slate in the right spot underneath it all. Luckily I've got drystart HC handy at all times, so I can just cover the mound right off the start. Your mentioning of a, "possible angle" brought it to mind.

If that fails, it'll definitely be a screen mesh type deal. I may be able to anchor to the bottom with zip ties since there's plastic egg crate underneath everything.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll update this thread with my success/spectacular failure once I've given it a shot.

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
I think when tanks adapt like this you should roll with it. I'd either reposition | push those those rocks down or leave them as be for eventual bottom dwellers who'll love that space and dig around it. Looks to be in a good spot and this will let you see them in their natural caves. Kuhliis? Rhinogobius wui?

In terms of keeping the scape, I think the problem is those rocks don't show a full border. Bordering off the substrate (with rocks, divider, eggcrate, etc) is necessary (of course) if you want a proper dam of the stuff.

Nice dry start, by the way. I've been looking for you to post pictures of your stuff :) Very nice rocks and contrast with the plants and substrate, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Having worked in stone I feel like an idiot for not having spotted the issue. I guess I was counting on the HC roots a little too much.

Leaving it is something I hadn't considered. The shrimp are loving it as a hiding place.

I was lucky to get the rock; it's all jasper. The greenish one is what all of them look like on the inside. Although I guess with the tannin stain it's hard to tell that the smooth one is green :p

I've got plenty of work to go with this tank, but I've also taken a number of pictures to show its life as it develops. Once I've got it a little more developed I'll be posting it as a journal. There's still some major hardscape in terms of wood that needs to go in, fighting with glosso again, need the staurogyne to finish filling in, need more weeping moss etc.