This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquasoil information required

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Phill Esch, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Phill Esch

Phill Esch New Member

Local Time:
    12:38 AM
    Hi Guys

I just have a couple of questions regarding aquasoil.

I live in New Zealand and due to our biosecurity laws Aquasoil cant be imported as well as most of the awesome plant species you guys have access to which is really depressing.
    Ive got to the point of finding suppliers, applying for import permits only to have them rejected.

This has lead me to experiment in the manufacture of my own. I believe i have a good recipe and method but im just wondering what the final finish is like of aquasoil.

Is it solid?
    If so how solid?
    Can it be squished with your fingers or is it hard like baked clay balls?

Thanks in advance!

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:38 PM
    Hi Phill, it's fairly solid but it can be squished between fingers quite easily, but it's definitely not like hard baked clay balls.

Phill Esch likes this.
  3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Are you limited to native aquatic plants only? I don't know anything about what plants are native to New Zealand, but that seems like a major trigger for depression! If I had to do without Aquasoil that wouldn't bother me at all - I would just mineralize some topsoil and use that - but the limit on plant species would be too much to bear!

Dale Hazey likes this.
  4. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Local Time:
    +1 for mineralized top soil.

When I started in this hobby a woman suggested I should go to the native waterways and get native plants and fish. I don't know anything about New Zealand but that could be a real adventure right there. Less money spent on plants and fish, more to spend on a bigger tank!

5. Phill Esch

Phill Esch New Member

Local Time:
    12:38 AM
    Thanks for the replys, I don't want to do mineralised topsoil as it's too messy and I need the nutrients in the substrate as I'm trying limiting nitrate to bring out reds in Acuarta and rotundifolia.
    I'll make a journal on my aquasoil attempt