This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquasoil + Diy Substrate ?

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by Nathi Kaminski, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Nathi Kaminski

Nathi Kaminski New Member

Local Time:
    3:15 PM
    Hello! My name is nathalia and im from uruguay. Here it is very hard to find commercial substrates for planted tanks thats why I brought a 9L ADA Amazonia Aquasoil bag from brasil in my bag . The thing is that im setting a tank with this base dimentions: 40cmx80cm (16inx32in). For that size i would need 20 Liters of soil or more. And i only have 9. I was thinking in using the ADA aquasoil as a top layer and under it doing a homemade substrate for planted tanks. This mix would be something like red clay + worms hummus + vermiculite + perlite + inert gravel/sand. Would this be ok? I read somewhere that i shouldnt mix basic and acidic substrates (vermiculite and aquasoil perhaps) but i dont know. Please help me. Thank youu! And sorry for my english .

2. bshenanagins

bshenanagins Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:15 PM
    I’m actually doing something similar, soil bottom capped with safe t sorb and a layer of aquasoil. It wasn’t on purpose, but it’s just working out that way. Just make sure you have a good cap, either sand or gravel, then AS on top. The only downside to dirt is uprooting, it’ll get messy if your not careful. Also, do not add perlite, it’ll float out of the substrate and is unnecessary.