This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquasoil Amazonia is leonardite?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by nealf_2000, May 8, 2008.

1. nealf_2000

nealf_2000 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:05 PM
    I am starting to think that leonardite or a similar granular humate may make up a major portion of Aquasoil. Let's compare descriptions.

Aqua Soil-

http://www.adana.co.jp/asoil_e.htm
    ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia

-Made from specially processed natural material from the earth.
    -Amazonia’s active ingredient, humus acid.
    -reduces pH
    -reduces hardness
    - the humus [humic] acid, promoting water plant growth has easily-soluble character, and the water could turn yellow, if the water is alkaline.
    -light weight
    -doesn't scratch glass or acrylic

Granular Humate

Earthgreen Products Inc.
    Huminova
    What is Humate?

-Natural organic material mined from the ground
    -made up of
    1) humins- black, not soluble,
    2) humic acids- brown or grey, soluble at high pH (alkaline conditions),
    3) fulvic acids - yellow soluble at all pH conditions
    -reduces soil pH
    - chelates Calcium and Magnesium
    -low mineral hardness (soft), won't scratch

The color and weight of Aquasoil seem like a perfect match to the sample of different granular humates that I have seen, as would the high cation exchange capacity. The yellow water tinge at high pH and leaching of ammonium seen with aquasoil would also be consistent with a granular humate.

I'm guess that ADA has processed the granular humate to remove the most soluble fractions, either through treatment with a basic solution such as potassium hydroxide, or with KCl solution to remove exchangeable acids and replace them with potassium on the surface exchange sites.

If anyone would like to try a test (since I don't currently have access to Aquasoil Amazonia),

- Make a high pH solution by dissolving garden lime (I guess baking soda would work) try to get the pH above 10. Add some aquasoil , mix, and allow to sit for several hours. Do humic acids start leaching into the solution and turn it brown?