This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquarium Water Tranfusion

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by lightyear, Oct 9, 2010.

1. lightyear

lightyear Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    6:54 PM
    Hello I am battling to green algae as I mentioned in my previous thread. Come across this idea to eliminate it. Call it the "Aquarium Water Transfusion" concept is simillar to blood transfer in hospital. lol. I do 50% water change from my aquarium 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening using the water from my tank that has no signs of algae or what so ever. lol

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Uh... Not Really...

Hi,

I think you will find you are better off just doing straight water changes. :)

If you think the outbreak is do to poor cycling then it makes more sense to import mulm and filter material.

As the ever observant commentator on all things planted tanks and anti-conspiracy theorist, Tug pointed out in your aforementioned “other thread” all of this stuff, algae and so forth exist everywhere, when the conditions favor it (“it” can be good or bad) “it” breaks out. (A rude para phrase, I may have embellished a tad.)

Biollante

3. lightyear

lightyear Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    thanks for the inputs. this is not a consipracy. just being curious since curiousity might drive problem solving. anyway I give it a shot cause I don't want to do blackout just to solve any green water algae issues.

doing straight water changes 50% a day will just bring me back to day one wherein i need to have colony of bacteria for ntrogen cycle, so i am gambling of reusing the water from my mature tanks.

#3 lightyear, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  4. anda

anda Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Bacteria are everywhere, mostly in your filter media, but also on the glass, rocks, filter tubes, etc. Doing straight water changes won't affect the colony as much. I go with Biollante, drop the transfusion method... unless you find it amusing enough to go through all the trouble...

Green algea.... you mean green water? You would be better off doing a blackout. Water changes will only make it thrive in my experience...