This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquarium casing question

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Orple, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Orple

Orple Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    2:07 PM
    Hello all,

I just upgraded to a 45 gallon from a 29 gallon so I could set up a more serious CO2 system for plants. I bought the tank used, but when I got home I found that the plastic divider that runs across the top frame of the tank is cracked through. As I understand it, that piece is there because the 45 gallon tanks are relatively high and need something to stop from bowing out along the top.

My question is this: how vital is this? Is it more of a precaution, or a necessity? In either case, is there any adequate way of fixing it aside from just buying and installing a new plastic casing on the top? I was thinking maybe some sort of plastic sealant or so...

Anyone have experience with this?

Cheers,
    Orple

2. Orple

Orple Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I think I found a good solution. I'm going to seal the crack with a plastic sealant, and then drill a hole through either side and bolt a piece of 1" wide plexiglass underneath it using nylon bolts. I may even try to bond the plexiglass to the divider; not sure about that yet. That should more than hold it.

Sry to answer my own question; I'd delete my original if I knew how. Who knows; maybe this will help someone else!

Cheers,
    Orple

3. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It sounds like this is an acrylic tank. If so the member across the top is likely also acrylic. I'd get another piece of acrylic and the appropriate solvent and sister a new piece to the old. Much stronger than bolting something.

have fun

jim

4. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    Try Weld-on #16. Kinda thin and runny but bonds acrylic great.

Pat