This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aquaponics To Polish Aquarium Water With Syngonium Sp.

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Stan510, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    5:13 AM
    I've been at this for over 40 years now,and this summer was my first real try at using tropical Houseplants to help filter the water. It started this time with a few rooted cuttings of Syngonium sp. Silver something it was called. All that you see is what has grown since late summer in my 240 gallon kept by a large window as you can see. What has happened is that the larger it gets the clearer more polished the water gets and stays. I've seen a real drop off in water tint ( I feed the fish beefheart,a well known food that can tint water) that usually builds up over the week. In fact,it seems like I can feed my fish as much as I want without lowering the water quality. The roots are both rooted in the sand and dangling in the water column and is a great rest area for fish who want to be away from tankmates for awhile.
    One more? There is NO ODOR to the tank..not musty,not fishy. You can put you nose over this and its clean air.
    Now I have sunlight hitting this tank and to do the same with artificial light would take a strong LED or Metal Halide...but i know that these days the intense LED's are economical and long lasting. Consider those.
    Syngonium also for a vine,grows compact. Unlike Pothos that wants to climb.
    Give it a try.
    What size filles is the max? I can only load one right now.
    THANKS ALL FOR LOOKING.

IMG_1449.JPG

2. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Since posting,I added some wood branches to look as if they grew from above into the roots. Looks much more jungly now..and fish love the "stilt" roots with the fine Syngonium roots. Couldn't be more pleased that something that looks good,is also an important part of the system

#2 Stan510, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  3. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    A few more of late. I tried to lower the MBs to post.

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

4. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    That Sword plant? In October,I had to cut off ALL the remaining leaves down to a bud. It never did very well but 4" leaves at most...then those would get algae. After the Sechem iron gluc? You see all new growth since late November. It's why I added the star grass,Bolbitis,more Ammania. The Syngonium ate up the nitrates and the Seachem really did a great job to give a huge push.
    No tablets,no Co2,no 17 herbs and spices. Light and a balanced system with 35-40% water changes every week or two at most.