Aquamedic 1000 or Mazzei ?

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hello All

I am planning a CO2 system for my 100gal planted tank. I have a 9kg CO2 cylinder and Eheim 2217 (1000 l ph).

Lighting will be 2WPG -4 HO TH (54W), Substrate aquasoil amazonia and EI dosing.

Aquamedic 1000 was my choice but a good friend suggested that Eheim 2217 may not be adequate for this reactor to get good CO2 level.

Read quite a bit about Mazzei and would like to know which method shall give me better CO2 level and also cost comparison if possible.

Hope to hear from senior members.

Thanks

ame

SpeedEuphoria

Prolific Poster
Aug 16, 2008
Mazzei's need good pumps to work properly, most canisters are not up to the task.

Your going to want more filter/water movement than just a single 2217, many people use 2 of those on 75-90G tanks.

PMD

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 16, 2006
At best the Eheim will give you 500 L/Hour after it is filled with media. That is not nearly enough circulation.

You will need circulation per hour that is 5X to 10X the size of the tank - at least 2,000 to 4,000 L/Hour for a 100G to minimize dead spots in the tank.

Good circulation facilitates good CO2 distribution.

Regardless whether you chose the Mazzie or the Aquamedic increase the flow. To put this in perspective consider my 125G. I have the following:

One Eheim pump (900 gallons per hour) attached to 3/4" PVC pipe for water circulation and CO2 distribution. The PVC is routed to the bottom back of the tank. A six foot PVC spray bar directs the CO2 enriched water forward. I use an 24" long, 3" diameter DIY CO2 reactor. Net flow of that pump is probably 400 gallons per hour.

Two Eheim 2217 filters.

Two Aquaclear 500's.

One HOT Magnum 250.

Two powerheads.

That's about the right amount for my tank.

Best regards,

PMD

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hello Friends

I need to increase flow. May be I will add 1 more Eheim 2217.

What to do about the Reactor part?

Am I missing something here.

Regards

ame

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Ame,

There are really two issues here:

1. The 'best' method to inject c02.
2. The distribution of c02 and other nutrients in the tank.

The replies you got address these. Think of it like this:

Injecting c02 - there are many methods to do this. Read the c02 section, but you can inject the c02 directly into the canister, use a reactor (either the AM1000 or a DIY), or use a venturi, as some examples.

The AM1000 will cost > $85 USD. A nice venturi can be had for

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hello Gerryd

Thanks for the reply.

1. The 'best' method to inject c02.

If I have to add another Eheim 2217 +Aquamedic ,I might look at the option of pump and venturi.(How much should a good pump cost? ).Please suggest me a good combination .

I hope pump and venturi will give good CO2 injection and will also increase water movement.

2. The distribution of c02 and other nutrients in the tank

" just to push the water around in the tank"

Will the pump used for the venturi be sufficient for this ?

Thanks in advance.

ame

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Dear Friends

After going through threads about Mazzei's issues I feel I should stick to Aquamedic 1000 reactor.

The choice now is how to add the pump to Aquamedic and get both CO2 diffusion and water flow.

I have planned that apart from the Eheim inlet/outlet pipes I will add one more set.The inlet pipe will be connected to the pump and then to Aquamedic 1000 reactor and then to tank via outlet pipe.

This will allow me to time this along with CO2 solenoid .

The Eheim 2217 will continue to run as it is 24 x7.

Does this make sense?

Your views/comments are awaited.

Thanks

ame

vraghu

Junior Poster
May 5, 2006
Hello ame,

I have tried using the 2217 Canister with AM1000 , but the result was bad, now i use a EHEIM 3000+ Compact Pump which drives the AM1000, this works beautifully without any issues and i get a very good circulation inside my 4Ft Tank.

Raghu.

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Dear Raghu

Thanks for the reply.

Whats your opinion on connecting the Aquamedic ? I dont prefer a sump system.

What options are there for connecting the Reactor to get good CO2 diffusion and water flow ?

What flow rating pump should I go for ,any suggestions for brands?

Thanks in advance .

ame

vraghu

Junior Poster
May 5, 2006
Hello ame,

As i have mentioned earlier .. this is how it is..

You can Connect the AM1000 and a Pump outside the Tank, or the backside of the Tank or below the tank.. whichever suits you.

You need a EHEIM Compact + 3000 Pump .

Connect the AM1000 to the pump and the outlet can be connected to a Spray bar which will give u excellent diffusion and water flow.

Check the EHEIM Website for the details on these Pumps.

Eheim GmbH & Co. KG | EHEIM compact+ (GB)

Regds
Raghu.

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hello All

How is the idea to use inline Reactor(AM 1000) and misting as well ( ceramic diffuser)?

1. Plan to connect the AM1000 and a Pump below the tank.Guess I need to add IN and OUT lines for this and the Pump should run out of water(As per Eheim site).

2. I used the Eheim 2217 spraybar on top of a ceramic diffuser bubble stream to move the bubbles along the tanks length(before they rise up to surface) and got good results in the past. May not be as good as a venturi but misting definitely .

So I was thinking of doing both.

What do you guys think of my plan ? Please share your experience .

Regards

ame

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Dear All

Just reminds me that that after the CO2 regulator& solenoid I will need two valves and T connection to connect the diffuser and AM 1000.

The pressure in these lines should be different ,do I need to add two needle valves as well check valves ?

Is there any regulator that has dual connection ?

Hope to hear from you all.

Regards

ame

SpeedEuphoria

Prolific Poster
Aug 16, 2008
ame;30891 said:
I have planned that apart from the Eheim inlet/outlet pipes I will add one more set.The inlet pipe will be connected to the pump and then to Aquamedic 1000 reactor and then to tank via outlet pipe.

This will allow me to time this along with CO2 solenoid .

The Eheim 2217 will continue to run as it is 24 x7.

Does this make sense?

That is fine, but just leave the pump running 24/7 also. Just have the CO2 turn on and off.

If you are using an external pump then the mazzei would work.

If you want to inject CO2 at 2 different places in the tank, then yes you need 2 separate needle valves and tubing. On the regulator, you just get a "T" fitting to splice to the 2 separate valves. It you want bubble counters on each line to match up the CO2 on each line, then you can also look into a pre made "manifold" that has bubble counters built in.

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
SpeedEuphoria

Thanks for your reply.

" If you are using an external pump then the mazzei would work."

Can you please tell me what wattage/rating pump is required to operate a mazzei for 100 gal tank?

ame