This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

    https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aqua soil

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rthomas, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. rthomas

    rthomas Guru Class Expert

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    7:14 AM
    I have read Tom's article on Super easy method to start a new tank without any algae, any issues,dosing etc and find it worth a try.

    I am going to try with Hairgrass on a new 2' tank. I could be having some Glosso and Crypts as well. Am going to fertilize with EI method.

    1) Can I just use Amazonia II Powder ?

    2) How long will this soil last? I mean, do I have to remove the soil after Y number of years and put in new ?

    3) How many bags (9L) do I need ?
     
  2. Tom Barr

    Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Messages:
    18,660
    Likes Received:
    600
    Local Time:
    7:14 AM
    Do not use the powder, it's like dust, if you clean or do much, it goes everywhere.
    1 x 9 liters ought to do for most applications, add another 3 liter bag if you like hills etc, I'd suggest 2x 9 liter bags so you have plenty.

    Regards,
    Tom Barr
     
  3. rthomas

    rthomas Guru Class Expert

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    7:14 AM
    Any idea ? Or will it last like forever ?
     
  4. Tom Barr

    Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Messages:
    18,660
    Likes Received:
    600
    Local Time:
    7:14 AM
    5 years ?
    Cannot say, but if you ADD FERTS to the dosing routine,m the sediment, any sediment's nutrients will last much longer.

    So that question's answer is the very variable.

    Regards,
    Tom Barr
     
  5. rthomas

    rthomas Guru Class Expert

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2007
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    7:14 AM
    Tom, in your opinion, do I need to use base fert before topping it up with AS, if 90% of my plants are Hairgrass and the other 10% are Crypts?

    Please advise.
     
  6. Tom Barr

    Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Messages:
    18,660
    Likes Received:
    600
    Local Time:
    7:14 AM
    Nope, none needed.
    ADA As is loaded.


    Regards,
    Tom Barr
     
Loading...

Share This Page