aqua soil vs eco complete & potassium?

danski

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2007
im thinking about doing a substrate change since my eco has been in more than a year..
question will aquasoil mess with parameters ? i have no known issues w/the eco but im interested in the aquasoil..will my tank have to cycle again since i will be changing the substrate thus removing bacteria?
or does the eco complete seem just fine..im dosing E.I but im thinking the roots could use some good feedings.also how can i tell if i need to dose potassium seperate since im only dosing nitrates and phosphate? both are from gregs and i use the potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. plants grow but to me seem to be missing 1 small ingredient for great overall health. im wondering if it could be the potassium..thanks....dan

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Potassium nitrate is about 39% potassium, which provides enough for the plants by itself. More won't do any harm, but probably won't do any good either. And, Eco Complete substrate should last a lot longer than one year. If you want more substrate fertilizing, use substrate tabs for fertilizer, or make your own by mixing ferts with mud and making mud ice cubes to shove down under the substrate.

danski

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2007
thanks for the info especially the eco heads up..i see your from the sac area i lve in stockton..thanks dan

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm heading to 8 Mile Road out West of 5 actually today to get some Egeria for another weed experiment:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

danski

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2007
8 mile road is about 10miles from my house..its good to know someone with your expertise/experience is so near..dan

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Stop by the plant club, SAPS every 1st Tues at Round Table Pizza.

Regards,
Tom Barr

danski

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2007
Ive thought about it Tom. Just really kinda hard right now with my wife having our fourth child 2months ago. About the only time i get out now is when i can cruise through the boards :)
you just might see me there one day though. dan

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
This 1st Sat in OCT, I'll speak on aquatic plants at the SAS club meeting in Folsom near madison and Greenback at the round table there.

Regards,
Tom Barr