Apple Snails and Algae

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
Anyone had much luck with Apple Snails removing Algae?

I had some kind of virus/bacteria/chemical wipe out all the critters in my small planted tank (20g) a few weeks back (complete death in two days, even with anitibiotics/WC). So I decided to move a few (20) small Apple Snails from the big tank to this tank to make sure it's fish safe before I repopulate.

Looking at the glass tonight and damn it's clean. I also went to CO2 and auto dosing a few months ago, so that might be a factor. Plus the Lotus I'm growing for another tank has gone a bit wild. But I think the snails are definitely helping. Although I have a few bigguns in the large tank and the glass is NOT spotless, but they have helped clean up some plants. OH, I'm also not feeding the small tank, as there are no critters; so that might explain why they're feeding on Algae. :eek:

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Snails will never solve algae issues. So many types of algae and they will never eat more than one or 2 sorts. Also, their eating capacity is by far outpassed by algae growth speed. As far as I know, apple snails won't climb on most plants if at all as they are too heavy, just like Nerite snails. But, unlike most other snails, they can eat your healthy plants in an efficient manner when they lack food

CO2/dosing will solve most algae issues though as in your case I think

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
Yeah I'm sure the consistency of plant feeding is a factor, but my glass is never this clean, no matter how good I am. It occurred to me when I was writing the original message, that the snails in the large tank spend a lot of time cruising the bottom looking for left over food. While the snails in the small tank spend most of their time on the glass.

As for plant climbing, the golf ball sized snails in my large tank regulary cruise the Sword plants looking for Algae. The 'smaller' ones climb the Lugwidia and Anbias eating Algae. I assume they're altering their buoyancy to manage this trick.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Buoyancy Trick

Hi,

I suspect the clean glass is actually better water quality, if the critters are doing well the water quality is probably quite good. The plants are no doubt sucking up a lot of wastes. Good water quality will clean your glass. :)

You are quite correct “they're altering their buoyancy to manage this trick.”

Do not trust the Apple Snails to eat only algae when on your plants.

Feeding Apple Snails vegetables such as zucchini, squash, green beans, and peas, will help save your plants. They may prefer fish food, doesn’t have to be sinking foods, Apple snails harvest fish food from the surface. :)

Biollante

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
Biollante;49400 said:
Hi,

Do not trust the Apple Snails to eat only algae when on your plants.

Feeding Apple Snails vegetables such as zucchini, squash, green beans, and peas, will help save your plants. They may prefer fish food, doesn’t have to be sinking foods, Apple snails harvest fish food from the surface. :)

Biollante

So far they've been good little Snails, although with the amount of pruning lately, it would be impossible to tell. If they would just stop making more Snails, I would be happy. (Yes, I've been taking out the clutches).

I fed the SAEs some Zucchini last night, but they did not seem interested. I assume the Snails cleaned it up overnight. The SAEs are very picky, they just love their HBH Veggie flakes.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Sugar Pops Anyone

Hi,

I am beginning to think the animal or at least fish food people are adding sugar or something, I have noticed a trend toward critters preferring the “flake food” to the real stuff. ;)

Biollante

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
I wonder at which point we'll be looking for high fructose corn syrup, soy products, and transfats in the fish food...

-
S

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Biollante;49411 said:
Hi,

I am beginning to think the animal or at least fish food people are adding sugar or something, I have noticed a trend toward critters preferring the “flake food” to the real stuff. ;)

Biollante

Yes, they need time to accept new food. So depends on what they were used to eat. It can take many weeks sometimes before they change from flakes to fresh or accept new flakes. Varying food will make them less tricky

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Can You Say Coco Puffs?

Hi Jonny, All,

Varying the food is what I do, I have noticed in the past several months a disturbing (to me anyway) trend toward critters preferring flake food.

It used to be the problem was getting them to accept flake food! Now it is all some of the critters want! :eek:

Biollante

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Give them meat, you'll see how they get crazy. But, in my small tank, water spikes high nitrate if I do so