Apistogramma Borellii Male

Sintei

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2006
Tom Barr;186 said:
Apisto's are highly suited to planted tanks, try some!!!

Regards,
Tom Barr

Any information on why this fish is "highly suited" in planted tanks and why other are not?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Small and does not bug others.
Peaceful, colorful, not common, relatively easy to care for.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
Very Nice !

Handsom fish Tom. I may eventually add a few more, but the ones I've kept in the past didn't look nearly as nice. I'm trying to find some Filamentosus at the moment, but not having much luck at it. :(

Sintei

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2006
Im currently looking for apistos, but im a bit afraid theyre gonna go after my shrimps. Does anyone of you know if my shrims would only be expensive food?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Smaller baby shrimp they might, Cherry shrimp likely.

regards,
Tom Barr

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
Really ?

I was seriously wondering about that ? Last week I awoke one morning to find 2 Blue Rams Bloated, and in serious gastric distress. The only thing I could find out of the ordinary was a conspicuous absence of 8 shrimp. I suspect they were molting ? The Rams did eventually expire. Reminds me of that old Alka-Seltzer commercial. Who'da Thunk ???

Sintei

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2006
hah, well i have cardinals roaming around in the tank and want a pair of apistos to keep them schooling. But at the expense of my shrimps? oh bu!
But if I buy really small apistos? :rolleyes:

Cant well just get along?:D

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
You might Consider TAENIACARAS, or DICROSSUS /CRENICARA sp.

Both are a few of the smallest of Dwarf Cichlids. TAENIACARA CANDIDI, and DICROSSUS FILAMENTOSA are my personal favorites, and mix well with Cardinals, Rummy Nose, and Pencilfish. I'd have never believed the Rams could actually eat shrimp, but it they are small shrimp or molting they are fair game apparently ??? :( There are a few smaller Apistos to consider, but if they are Robust and healthy I doubt they'd stay small for long. HTH. Prof M

Sintei;10966 said:
hah, well i have cardinals roaming around in the tank and want a pair of apistos to keep them schooling. But at the expense of my shrimps? oh bu!
But if I buy really small apistos? :rolleyes:

Cant well just get along?:D

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Small shrimp and large Apistos perhaps
Most things eat small shrimps.........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Sintei

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2006
well i bought a pair of apisto macmasteri. Very beautifyl! They had a pair fullgrown and they looked AMAZING(!), but i went with the younger ones so theyll adapt to my aquarium more easy.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I do hopwe more folks try Apistos, they are just so well suited for planted tanks and are breedable and pretty etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Michael

Junior Poster
Dec 13, 2006
Bristol, CT
I have Amanos and Bamboos in my 300 gallon tank with Borellis, Cockatoos, Blue & Bolivian Rams and the don't bother the shrimp at all.

I agree, Apistos are an great addition to a planted tank

Here is one of my Borellis, excuse to photo technic, just experamenting:
ebd740fc.jpg

Borelli hanging with Blue Rams
f0470901.jpg

Jan db

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio
Tom, I know this is an old post but I wondered if you have a good online source for apistos? Which apisto is your favorite?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Smaller breeders, there's always a few that are REALLY into cichlids and then the same for Dwarf SA cichlids.

The larger places often sell mass produced males and often have issues(they do not live that long).

Really depends on which species they have and you want as to where to buy from.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Jan db;93310 said:
Tom, I know this is an old post but I wondered if you have a good online source for apistos?

Have you tried the apistogramma forum? Many folks subscribe and buy/sell/trade and good info there as well....

Jan db

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio
Gerry, I have. It has a lot of good info. I'm in Columbus, oh and just found a young pair of triple reds from a member of the local aquarium club, great price too! They're about an inch long so I'm going to grow them out in a 10 gallon before I put them in the big tank. I'll keep you updated.

UDGags

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2009
Kettering, Ohio, United States
There are some people in the Cincinnati that breed/sell them as well Jan if you're looking for a specific one. GCAS has their annual swap meet coming up in a couple weeks and I'm sure you can find some there.