This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

API Copper Test Kit

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Natty, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Natty

Natty Junior Poster

I just got me some copper test kits made by API, I was wondering are they useful at all in determining if I have copper issues in my water or are they so unprecise that it's worthless? I don't exactly need it to know exactly what my copper levels are, I just need it to show me some signs that I have copper issues.

LaMotte is not an option atm.

2. Natty

Natty Junior Poster

I just filled up two test tubes from two different tanks and I don't see any color change at all.

Anyone know how to get a source that you know has lots of copper so I can tell if the test kit is even working?

3. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Could you try adding some copper sulfate to the test tubes? I think you'll find it in a lot of the ich cures or similar products. I'm not sure if the API kit will detect it or not though. I suppose you could also try to use some low pH water and then throw in a bit of copper wire and leave that around for a bit. Please let me know if any of this works.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Bluestone is available from pharmacies.
    Copper sulfate. Copper ETDA also is available from Mardel, it's not as toxic but last longer in solution.

Make a reference solution also, then confirm the test kit.
    So you need to do a little chem and weights etc(no, I;m not going to do it for you, your question, your homework!).

Do you have Copper pipes?
    Where is the tap from? Ask them for a report on copper.

Regards,
    Tom barr