This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

API Algaefix

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Petex, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Petex

Petex Member

Local Time:
    2:25 AM
    Hi,
    Did someone know how long did it takes after Algaefix is breaked down (and no longer toxic)?
    After how many days can a tank treatend with API Algaefix be stocked with shrimps?

thx Peter

2. Wwh2694

Wwh2694 Member

Local Time:
    I saw in the forum it last 24hrs. You can make a big water change 75% or more after treatment and will not have any side effect. I did it like that no loss of inverts.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Busan 77 is the trade name, you can look up the environmental fate on the EPA's web site. It binds to soil rather quick.

I'd wait 2-3 days.

4. Petex

Petex Member

Local Time:
    hi,
    okay thx. I will wait some days.
    Used it in a tank where always some algaes live. API fully whipped out each single tread algae and also all GDA.
    Nothing ever came back and no plant damages, really very impressive. ;)
    Still for red algaes like BBA it just didnt work.
    (Excel also failures there)

What did this mean?
    Will it settle down like copper into substrate and do any harm in the long term (for any ground eating fishes or so)?

#4 Petex, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
  5. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    For BBA, I think if you shut down all water flow, then hit it with 1 ml per 35 liters of aquarium with H2O2 and perhaps some Excel/Easy Carb at the label dose for that size tank, wait 5 minutes, then refill the tank, do this 1-2 x a week, the BBA will die off pretty well.
    If the CO2/current etc is correct, it should NOT return.

7. Petex

Petex Member

Local Time:
    Hi,
    Tank uses Soil / PH 4,5 - 5,5
    Co2 40ppm
    KH 0
    Are there BBAs around which prefer low PH/KH - or - can Soil release something that pushes BBA grow?
    (my other tanks with higher PH/KH are BBA free, just the Soil tank has those annoying BBAs)

Thank you for the link.
    Unfortunatly my english is too bad for the tech paper. Can someone explain me in simple words what happens with Busan 77 after it got sediment bound? Will it be there "forever" or will it decompose to any non-toxic stuff?

#7 Petex, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Once it binds, it no longer has activity. The material is then attacked and decomposed by bacteria.

Copper cannot decompose unless you have a nuclear reactor and can split the atom. It can only bind and form complexes, minerals etc, which may/may not come out of those forms and back into solution.

9. Petex

Petex Member

Local Time:
    Hi tom,
    thank you for the info about Api, did you perhaps also know how many days the decompose need?

And yes, Copper can not decompose and will always be there, - but as far as I know once it got bind - it did no longer do any harm and still very low PH2 levels (or dropping FeCl3) can destroy Cu bindings & back release any copper. Or, I am wrong there?

#9 Petex, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013