Anyone w/Cats?

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
My Cat Drinks from the Fish Tank.
It sounds like a poem's title, but is it Ok?
843d1237561107-fish-aquarium-plants-stuff-p2280009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Mine do all the time with no apparent ill effects.

One of them actually cries to be picked up so he can drink from the display tank as he cannot yet get way up there. That I KNOW of anyway lol

I figure the water is better filtered than my tap!

The other one would rather drink out of MY water cup :)

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
I can see that.

Thank you G.
I can see a cat doing that. I once had another gray cat. One who liked to ride in the car :p

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
I had an old black shorthair that would jump up the top of the 75 Gallon to drink out of it. It was always funny since the big angel kept trying to bite her tongue. It made for a mess whenever that happened, but the cat was always going up there.

-
S

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Paulb,

Nice pic of the cat in the tank lol cracked me up...

Mine will dip into the plant cutting bucket and/or knock it over or crawl in to get stuff to eat/play with. The bigger the cutting, the better as far as they are concerned.........

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Yep. My 3 bengals are right in the middle of stuff. I have one who circles the bucket after any shrimp in there. One got all wrapped up in the CO2 tubing and supplies. Fertilizer everywhere. I'd swear he was playing mad scientist. I may really need to rethink the rimless tank idea....

Gerryd;36535 said:
Paulb,

Nice pic of the cat in the tank lol cracked me up...

Mine will dip into the plant cutting bucket and/or knock it over or crawl in to get stuff to eat/play with. The bigger the cutting, the better as far as they are concerned.........

jeremyh

Junior Poster
Mar 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, my bengal is totally like that too - I had a double-take when I saw that picture above, I thought it was Hobbes for a second!

I ended up banning him from the aquarium room after he jumped right up onto the light and broke two of those cheap, spindly Coralife plastic legs in the process. Thank god the tank had a glass top - it would have been a nasty, nasty business to come home to find an electrocuted kitty floating legs up in the aquarium!

shoggoth43;36544 said:
Yep. My 3 bengals are right in the middle of stuff. I have one who circles the bucket after any shrimp in there. One got all wrapped up in the CO2 tubing and supplies. Fertilizer everywhere. I'd swear he was playing mad scientist. I may really need to rethink the rimless tank idea....

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Our Louie likes tank water for some reason. He drinks it from the Pyton when we do wc but, we try to keep an eye on him and chase him away. Lol, he gets up on the tanks but , never bother the fish or the plants. Just sits there watching the fish for 5 min or so, then he gets bored.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Everything is a chemical; it's the dose that makes the poison. We drink fertilizer runoff all the time; some of us even get 10ppm of elemental N in the tap from it.

I'd be more afraid of the bacteria soup.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
The amount of chemicals in the water don't come close to levels needed to harm them. After all, if the fish are still alive chances are the cats will be fine. What you SHOULD watch for is the cat drinking what you're pulling out of the tank and how. I had a cat who was having some serious issues drinking the water drinking when we siphoned off the bottom. With the crap and everything going out into the tub this was definitely NOT the water to have the cat drinking. OTOH, the same cat drinks out of the same tank from the surface and there's no issues that I can tell.

-
S

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Poor Barinka, jumped onto my kitchen counter years ago, only she landed on some news papers, slipped off the counter, papers and all, into a waiting trash can. That cat was about as graceful as a Starling flying after insects.

jeremyh;36894 said:
... nasty business to come home to find an electrocuted kitty floating legs up in the aquarium!
A ground fault circuit interrupter, a "GFCI" will bring peace of mind. Wont keep cats from climbing on things though.

barbarossa4122;46851 said:
How come these cats do not get sick drinking tank water? Water it's full of micros and macros(chemicals).:confused:
What about me? Morgana the gray, isn't happy just drinking from the fish tank. I've caught her drinking from my water glass as well.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
From now on, he'll get no access to the python when we do wc. Lol, he'll get upset.

S&KGray

Guru Class Expert
Nov 18, 2009
Garden Island
Hehe funny thread. My wife's cat doesn't drink out of my tanks, as far as I know. lol

My mom's cat loves to drink out of a 55g plastic drum, that only gets topped off by rain or hose. It holds jungle vals in a sand substrate with a small population of wild guppies and a bunch of snails (MTS and ramshorn). No filtration/circulation/heat, just mostly indirect sunlight. Funny thing is it sets right next to a few large Rubbermaid stock tanks with cichlids and almost no plants, but are filtered with pond filters and I've never seen the cat drinking from these.

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
Tug;46880 said:
What about me? Morgana the gray, isn't happy just drinking from the fish tank. I've caught her drinking from my water glass as well.

I drink Tea with milk after dinner; one night I had a cup on my desk with about an 1/8" of liquid at the bottom. Cleo jumped up on the desk and looked in the cup and tried sticking her head in the cup to get at the liquid. I was most amused that a cat would think she would like Tea and that she could not get at it. She gave me the look of death that only a cat can give and then proceeded to dip her paw in the Tea and lick it off.

I was not so superior after that, nor did I leave any drinking glasses unattended. :)

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Detritus Mulm said:
drinking glasses unattended.
I should really look into this. I expect she has already stuck her face and tongue into my water glass. I share my drinking water more then I should say and afterwards, I always feel so dirty. :p

S&KGray said:
Rubbermaid stock tanks with cichlids and almost no plants, but are filtered with pond filters and I've never seen the cat drinking from these.
Probably has more sense then to stick it's tongue in any water with mom's cichlids. See post #4.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Well... Er...Gulp...!

Hi,

I am not advocating drinking tank water. :p

That said there should not be anything in a well managed aquarium that would harm you. :gw Might even perk up the system.

Well, so to speak... :eek:

Biollante

S&KGray

Guru Class Expert
Nov 18, 2009
Garden Island
Tug;47021 said:
Probably has more sense then to stick it's tongue in any water with mom's cichlids. See post #4.

Hehe, maybe he's afraid of the 9 inch Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus, or the water in the drum tastes a lot better since it's sweetened by the large mass of plants. :)

PS. They are my cichlids, just no room at my place for Rubbermaid stock tanks. :p