This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Using Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips or Truelumen Pro LED Strips?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by kshafer, Jun 6, 2012.

1. kshafer

kshafer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:01 PM
    Is anyone using Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips or Truelumen Pro LED Strips exclusively to light a planted tank? I would like to do the same if I can find someone who has had success using either of those without other lighting.

2. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    3:01 PM
    We have experience with them at the store.
    The stunners are good for about 15 par on a std 30 long tank. (single strip 6 inches above tank)
    We use them in our sell tanks and crypts and some swords grow with it.

The true lumen are more powerfull. They will put out about 30 par on an 18" high tank at tank height. I use it to supplement a double t5 on a 33 gal high tech tank.
    let me know if you need more help on this.

Henry tomassini
    www.theplantedaquariumstore.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. kshafer

kshafer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the reply. I posted the same question on three forums, getting a lot of views but only your reply. I've been researching this project (low tech,no CO2, soil under gravel) for over a year and lighting has been the biggest challenge. I was sold on T5 until I started reading about LED. I like the idea of longer life and less power consumption. The start up cost is a little high but I can live with that. I'm not much of a DIYer so that led me to the two different strips which can be easily attached to a canopy lid. I need to learn more about par but if all I need to know is higher is better, I should go with True Lumen, right?

4. CalmSeasQuest

Local Time:
    I have both - Stunners as supplemental lighting over a reef and newly placed TrueLumen Pro in 8,000K over a 12G long. Here's the PAR I'm seeing from the TrueLumen Pro...

[​IMG]

Adding the the docking feet raise the fixture 1.5". It looks nice with the back etched as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the quality of the light 8,000K light.

#4 CalmSeasQuest, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  5. kshafer

kshafer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the reply. Between the two strips, which one do you think would provide more light?

6. CalmSeasQuest

Local Time:
    Easily the TrueLumen Pro. If by chance you've got too much PAR, you can add an dimmer.

7. kshafer

kshafer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the reply. That's exactly the information I am looking for.

8. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    Yes the inline dimmers are now available. Let me know if you want them. I have them in stock.. When I redo my 210 I'm ditching my useless 8x 80 ho t5 unit and going with 5 x 36" units. I will prob do 4 8k and one 12k in the middle.

Henry tomassini
    www.theplantedaquariumstore.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. kshafer

kshafer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Do you think the Stunners provide enough light? I'm thinking about four 36" strips over a 180 gallon and the Stunners would be considerably cheaper.

10. CalmSeasQuest

Local Time:
    I won't be much help in determining stunner PAR - I use 403nm Stunners as supplemental lighting over a reef and due to the spectrum, it's hard to get PAR measurements with an MQ-200. My brand-new-to-planted, uneducated guess would be the stunners would not be enough. I would add that between the two choices, the TrueLumen Pros are much higher quality.

11. kshafer

kshafer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    OK. Thanks again for all the information.

12. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time: