This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use 3M ColorQuartz sand?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Crazy Loaches, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Crazy Loaches

Crazy Loaches Guru Class Expert

Just curious how well this stuff is with plants (the finner S grade). Even though its expensive, and not really local (but might be able to put a group buy together to pay for the gas) its still cheaper than tahitian moon sand. And other than those two I havent been able to find another suitable black substrate.

I might just go with pool filter sand and save some money, but I really like the look of black substrate (especially since the tank is already painted black too). As Tom has stated in my other posts my original idea of Aqua Soil Amazonia isnt going to work with active bottom dwellers like clown loaches. So I am just entertaining the thought of ColorQuartz. Looking for some opinions...

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Tahitian moon sand, black beauty etc are black substrates, Eco complete would also qualify.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Crazy Loaches

Well, like I said Tahitian Moon Sand is more expensive. Black Beauty is reportedly too sharp for bottom dwellers, and Eco is actually more expensive than even AS. AS is out but would you think Eco would get along with my loaches? Pricey, but at least it would have some nutrients for the plants where sand wouldn't.

FWIW the going rate at my closest ColorQuartz distributor for S grade black is $30/50#. Not sure if I can get it any cheaper with a larger order will call back and ask.

4. Bartman

Bartman Prolific Poster

I've found that the Eco Complete doesn't bother my cory's much. Their barbells look fine, better than when I got them in fact. Plants love it too. Their roots can really grab onto it.

Luckily I'm near That Fish Place and can get it relatively cheap. :)

5. Crazy Loaches

*Bump*

Just wanted to see once more if anyone has used 3M ColorQuartz with plants? The only reason (other than it being a little pricey) that I am questioning using it is its rather fine .5MM size if I remember correctly (the S grade). I've been told it wont compact, probably due to the fact that the particles are about perfectly spherical, but I am unsure if this fine grain size might pose a problem for plant roots or not. BTW here is there website: 3M ColorQuartz

6. Russ

Russ Guest

I've used the 3M black to mix with Onyx sand and with Soil Master to hold the plants down. I know people who use it straight and it works nicely to highlight the plants.

-Russ

7. Crazy Loaches

Russ - thanks for the reply. Do you have any more info? Did you use the S grade or T grade? Did it seem to hold the plants well compared to other substrates? Just trying to get as much info as I can before I make a decision.

8. Russ

Russ Guest

I'm a member of SWOAPE (SouthWest Ohio Aquatic Plants Enthusiasts) and we bought a pallet of it and split it up. We got the "T" grade which is a nice fine grain, but not too fine and weighs plants down nicely. The SWOAPE web forum is at, http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/swoape-forum/ . The current president of the organization uses it without amendment and finds that plants grow well in it. His handle is 'MatPat' and if you post a question regarding it I'm sure he will pick up on it.

Good luck,

-Russ

9. Crazy Loaches

Shucks. I was hopping you'd used the S grade. The problem with the T grade even though its coarser which is desirebale, its suppose to be a lot more abrasive. I've already talked to many who have used the T grade, and most of them warn that it wouldnt be good with sensative bottom dwellers like loaches that nose around in it and sometimes burrow into it.

Thats cool you guys did a bulk buy. Too bad I'm up here in central ohio. How long ago was it? And do you happen to recall the price? Just trying to figure out if the price went up or maybe its more expensive in lesser quantities. The fellow in Clevelend selling it wants $30-35 / bag and seems like almost everyone else who has bought it paid $18-26 / bag.

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

I know one of the SWOAPE member's is up in Dayton, and another fairly close to Columbus? You are not that far from a meeting with them:)

Regards,
    Tom Barr

11. Crazy Loaches

True... I'll have to be checking them out when I get a chance. I've heard of CAFE as well but havent gotten involved with them. The last few events have all been on weekends I have had to work.

12. ricoishere

ricoishere Junior Poster

I did a search for 3m Colorquartz, and this thread showed up. This thread has been around a minute, but this does pretty much answers my question as to which substrate to use for a 90G and a 110G. In my 47G Bow tank, I have 3” of 50/50 Seachem Black Sand/Eco-Complete. I was unsure of doing the same for these two other tanks, which will have several loaches. I’ve decided to do the same combination. I was very concerned about the black sand compacting, and thereby inhibiting roots from spreading. I spoke with Seachem about this, and they said there is a minimal chance of this happening, and there was one gentleman who stated that during a tank switch, he used black sand, and there was a slight odor of sulphur noticed. This isn’t necessarily an alarm, but I prefer to minimize risks. So I’ll do the same combination of Black Sand/Eco-Complete. I don’t think that Colorquarts is that pricey, $30.00 for 50lbs. Eco complete can come at $21.00 for a 20lbs bag! Just have to search for best prices.