This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have experience with Echotech Radion lighting?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by feh, Sep 13, 2011.

1. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    5:59 PM
    http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/

I'm curious about these. I've heard a lot of good things about their power heads and plan to get 2 MP10s for the tank I'm working on, just wondered what people's experience / thoughts were on their LEDs.

2. 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Is there any place selling them yet? I believe they just came out. I'm also very keen on checking one out.

3. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Yeah, I was curious about the price tag too. :)

4. nickc

nickc Junior Poster

Local Time:
    They are 825 $CAD each (could not find a US price, there may be import issues?)

They seem nice but mostly geared towards saltwater given the led layout(color wise), I have a 1:1 ratio of white to blue leds (50/50 split of blue/royal blue) and drive the blues at 10-15%, anything higher is too blue and washes things out in a planted tank. Also the fan intake is mounted facing the water, I see salt/fish spray killing the fans in these units(they don't have optics so they will close to the surface)

I don't know about the control software but if it allows you to adjust each color independently then it may be worth looking at. However at its price its in the same area as AI or Vertex LED's, my choice was towards the vertex LED's due to controlability, Color customization and upgradability (and the awesome sunrise/set effects not my exact unit but gives you an idea) .
    With the vertex it takes an allen wrench and 1 minute to change out LED's or to add additional colors (im adding 3x 4 red 620nm groups to my fixture when they come in)
    This is one of the only other non optics based fixture that's in/close to the vertex league feature wise.

http://reefwholesale.com/img2/ecotech_radion_1.jpg (large image of the product, linking it)

#4 nickc, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Yes, likely about 700-800$ USD$ each

I'd have to remove some of the blues and switch with the reds.

6. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Per module? Ouch... that will add up quickly. Yeah, more red would be favorable for planted tanks. I am curious of what's up their sleeve with syncing it to the power heads though. I'm guessing night time mode kicks in when lights start dimming or something to that effect. Will be interesting to see what they do.

7. tecapparatus

tecapparatus Subscriber

Local Time:
    I like my radion a lot. Good customer service too