This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone feed OUTPUT of needlewheel to INPUT of reactor?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by growitnow, Jul 14, 2011.

1. growitnow

growitnow Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:59 PM
    Hi,

I just switched from AM1000 reactor on my 90gal tank, to an external needle wheel pump. The pump is an Eheim 1262 (900gph) but with a needle wheel impeller. Since I didn't know what to expect, I lowered bubble rate before the switch, and have been slowly increasing bubble rate with the NW now installed.

I have been upping and upping the CO2 with little change in drop checker (only blue-green by end of day), and have seen others make similar comment after switching from reactor to a needle wheel (need more CO2 with needle wheel to get same change in drop checker).

So, I am wondering if there is any advantage (or disadvantage?) to re-installing the AM1000 reactor and feeding the output of the Needle Wheel pump, to the input of the reactor. I assume this would increase contact time but have no sense of whether there's value in doing that.

thanks for any insight,
    growitnow

2. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    9:59 PM
    As I understand, the CO2 from a needle wheel is not dissolved in the water but atomized so a drop checker is more unreliable with this method, it seems that plants do better with this method, though. You need to observe how plants react.

I dont know if there may be advantages or disadvantages, but I think that if you add again the reactor after the needle wheel, the needle wheel will be useless, but this is just speculation on my part.

Regards,

Juan