This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone drill their planted tanks?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by kevinmichael77, Dec 2, 2016.

1. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:27 AM
    Hey guys,

I'm planning my next build which will be a 120p. I recently bought a Reef Synergy 16" Shadow Overflow on a whim and just wondering if anyone else uses internal overflows. It's a pretty slick overflow but will obviously still be visible in the tank. Not 100% dead set on using it yet and may just grab a beast like an eheim 2262.

http://synergyreef.com/product/16-shadow-overflow/

So my question is, does anyone out there have a drilled tank with an internal overflow? Positives? Negatives?

Also if I use it would it be better to drill it on the side where an external overflow would usually go?

Thanks all!!

2. tinkerman

tinkerman Subscriber

Local Time:
    4:27 AM
    I have a external bean animal set up with internal weir, basically the same thing as the reef synergy setup. I love it. I have had a tank where I made the overflow in the tank same bean animal, didn't like it, takes up too much room in tank blocks light to back 1/3 of tank. I know people running reef ready tanks with durso set ups, I think they are loud, no redundancy for flooding. Have see them run with herbie quieter but water level fluctuates in the overflow unless you run water down the back up which is not the way it should be run. The bean animal is my favorite, quiet, multiple fail safes, no bubbles in the sump or micro bubbles that make it back into the tank, no water fluctuations expect for water evaporation, doesn't block light, and you can push twice the amount of water though it over any of the other set ups. If set up right and tuned properly You will not hear the overflow at all.

My wier is in the middle of a 120 gal fatboy, 30" longx1 1/2"x6", extrernal is 30"x6"x 6".

The problem with single overflow reef ready tanks are that they don't get rid of all the surface scum. I you use what you have put it on the back wall center or on the short side if you are doing a peninsula tank. If you paint the back of the tank the overflow will disappear.

Drilling is easy if you know your tank isn't tempered. Go slow at the beginning and end, use plenty of water to cool bit and tank, clamp a board to outside of hole or place old towel on bottom to catch glass when finished drilling or drill from inside to outside of tank with tank on its back, DO NOT PUSH ON THE DRILL WHILE DRILLING. Plenty of u tube video's

2 people like this.
  3. Lou Ahlquist

Lou Ahlquist New Member

Local Time:
    11:27 PM
    Slow and steady, lots of water, make a wooden guide for the glass drill to sit in, it will also serve to hold most of the water close to the drill.
    Find out from the manufacture what panels are tempered or look for labels on glass or frame, cant drill tempered glass.