Any tips on going from co2 -> non co2?

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
I decided that I need to reduce my workload, so one thing I'm going to do is change over my 30g from co2 to non-co2. I just let the diy run out gradually, thus far I'm seeing a lot of gsa on some leaves and bba cropping up in places where it was already. I removed my reflectors in an attempt to reduce light, and it's working well, I could see an immediate difference in the light level, but it's not enough to stop algae. Other than fertilizing and doing water changes, is there anything else I can do to keep up with the algae? Should I bleach dip everything? The lighting is 60 watts of T8's with no reflectors. Plants are java ferns, hygrophila polysperma, crypts, anubias.

Henry Hatch

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2006
You might try excel for a period of time. I switched from a co2 tank to an excel tank with little algae. I would imagine the algae is adapting to the low co2 more quickly than the plants. I think the excel will help suppress algae and it may provide a transition process while your plants adapt.

Henry

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Can't really afford to order it right now....high shipping costs... I did take out all the plants that had any algae on them and bleach dipped them, and removed ALL of my hygrophila which I know will just start dying anyway, and added some from a non-co2 tank. I might look into Excel later on though.

Carissa

Guru Class Expert
Jun 8, 2007
Just wanted to post that it's going extremely well. I think it's mainly because I removed ALL of my hygrophila polysperma, leaving only slow growing plants, reduced lighting, and then added some hygro from a non-co2 tank which is doing fine and I put it directly under the brightest light to make it grow. I have no algae problems at all to speak of right now. But still, I have Excel on the way now. :)