This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Any light experts out there? need to know WPG loss in Paludariums.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Spar, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Spar

Spar Guru Class Expert

with 2 algae issues driving me nuts, I am reconsidering the possibility of high light being my nemesis.

I have a 110g Paludarium (50% full of water).

The tank is 30" high. So the water level is at 15", and then there is 15" of empty space above it.

On top, I have 4 65w PC bulbs, so 260w. Over 110g, that comes to 2.4wpg. over the 55g of water, it comes to 4.8wpg.

What would you think is the actual wpg hitting the footprint of the top of the water? keeping in mind it has to go through 15" of space first, which means that some light escapes out the sides too.

as far as dosing goes, I dose more than EI recommends of everything. so at least I have excess nutrients if my lighting is actually high.

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: Any light experts out there? need to know WPG loss in Paludariums.

I'm not a light expert, but I did sleep at ........ anyway: When you say you are dosing more than the EI recommended levels of everything, do you include CO2 as part of everything? If not, that would be a good place to start experimenting.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

CO2 is all that is left, 220w on a 110 gal is fine.
    Not too much and not too little for the tank.

You can turn off a 110w bank of the lights for 6 of the 10 hours also to reduce the light if you wish.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. Spar

Spar Guru Class Expert

yes, co2 is at 50-60ppm.

as for the wpg, is that really how to calculate the wpg for me though? I would think the 260w over 55g would be more accurate. why would calculating it over 110g be more accurate if no water is inbetween?

i may try the idea of turning off 2 ballasts earlier.