This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Another SS question

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by travdawg, Jun 5, 2005.

1. travdawg

travdawg Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    2:28 AM
    Woe is me!!!! Project BIG TANK has been put on hold once more, due to some medical problems that have reared their ugly head in my household. But what it is stealing from me cashwise, has bought me some more time to peruse my setup.

In my little 10 gallon, I recently swapped out the plain yucky clown puke for some Eco Complete. I love the way it looks, but it is a little "light" for my taste. I would prefer something heavier to bury plants in, but as far as cost, availability & ease of use, I dont think I can do better than that. I figured I could add to its density by cutting it with some fine black gravel from my LFS.

I was wanting your opinions on how you would cut it... Would you mix it in equal parts with the EC, or would you lay the EC on the bottom, then put a layer of the gravel on top of it. The only problem with the layering, that I could foresee is that eventually it seems that they would mix irregardless with planting, & uprooting for trimming.

I would like to have a 3-4" SS to build on. Opinions welcome!

2. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Re: Another SS question

Hi Trav,
    Thanks to Wolfen, I got a bag of EC that I set up in a 10. Can't wait to add
    some killies to see how they look against that dark substrate! If EC is similar
    to flourite, you'll want to have at least 60% EC to dark gravel/sand.

BTW, it's "beauregardless" not "irregardless"......just kiddin' :p

Bill

3. travdawg

travdawg Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

*throws rotten fruit at bill*

Man I cant wait to get this big tank out of the way. Not only because I want it up & running, but because I really want to get a few small killie tanks going as well.

Since this is my thread, & the equipment forum, I was wondering if you would recommend sponge filters instead of a small duetto or whatever type of filter in a killie tank. AND if you had any experience trying to hatch killie eggs wherever they lay? That is, instead of removing them from the tank that they are laid in, to just leave them, & let nature take its course. I was wondering what the mortality rate of killie fry in that environment would be.

4. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

Trav,
    I like to use the Jungle dirt magnet sponge filters. They come in all sizes, are
    inexpensive, unobtrusive. Any of the genus "Chromaphyosemion" lend themselves to a "permanent setup" for breeding. Yes, there is some predation,
    but you will have some fry that will grow on with the parents. These would be
    my number one choice for beginners, with Fundulopanchax gardneri being my
    second.

Use the filters in substrateless tanks using pots or tying plants to rocks,such
    as java ferns, anubias, mosses. Having a cover of floating plants are important
    with a permanent setup to help hide the fry. These tanks are not show tanks,
    but they don't have to be an eyesore, either. I still use EI with these.....

Bill