This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

another plant ID

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by tedr108, Jun 8, 2008.

1. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:52 AM
    It is really tough to find a plant on the internet when you have no idea what it is. I'm tired of looking. Can anybody ID this plant for me?

The plant shown below was shipped to me as Pogostemon Stellata -- that can't be right. The leaves are green on top and dark red on the bottom, just like some ludwigias. The leaves and stem seem more like a hygrophilia (sp?) to me.

unknown.jpg

I planted a few of the stems in my tank just to see what happens (after removing a monster crypt wendtii), but this really isn't what I was looking for. Sorry about the out-of-water pic, but I didn't want to shock my fish by turning the lights back on this late.

2. JDowns

JDowns Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  3. ceg4048

ceg4048 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,
    Although Tropica plants are disallowed in the US you may want to check their website for identification although they don't always show the emersed state=> Tropica

There are one or two Asian vendor websites I find helpful as reference because of the accuracy of the photos: My favourite is AquaspotWorld=> http://www.aquaspotworld.com/index.php?session=24e504a9df9dd6e785a27324114dfee0

Emmersed P. Stelleta should be needle leafed often with serrated edges. Here is a Tropica version 1 week or so after planting. Other than being a bit taller their form is pretty much what it was at planting:
    [​IMG]

Cheers,

4. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, JDowns, L. Glandulosa is probably right ... I thought I looked at all of the ludwigia varieties, but I missed this one.

Thanks for the links, ceg... The 2nd link even had a pic of P. Stellata -- Broad Leaf (first time I've been able to find a pic of it), which is not all that different from my plant, though I still lean toward L. Glandulosa.