This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

another newb dry fert to liquid question

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by cjThomas, Jul 27, 2017.

1. cjThomas

cjThomas New Member

Local Time:
    11:52 PM
    i don't know why i cant seem to get my head around this... im certain at this point that im over thinking this..

Ive read and read and re-read all that i can find... and in the end, i *think* the answer has been staring at me the whole time.... so just to verify...

if I am using Nutri-Calc V1.9.3.... and i input my tank size as 70 gallons (and have the EI Dosing box checked), leave the NKP targets (they are weekly, yes?) as the defaults (20, 30, 3).... can i just use the rounded Grams value to create my liquid solution?

basically then.... i will use a 500ml bottle for macros.... and a 500ml bottle for CSM+B....

in the macro bottle, i will load 500ml of RO and:
    12.55gr of KNO3,
    5.67gr of K2SO4
    3.55gr of KH2PO4

in the micro bottle i will load 500ml of RO and
    2.20gr of CSM+B

this will give me 3 doses of macro and 3 doses of micro, correct (roughly 166ml each)?? and next week, i'll make another batch, lol...

i realize that i am under utilizing the solution size... and that this equation, can and is, cut up a thousand ways by countless calculators... i just need to make sure that this basic premise is sound before i tear my hair out...

70 gal tank... started up on 7/25/17... 2 kessil 360we suns at 50% max@ 8hours, CO2 at 30-40ppm currently (no livestock yet), gh/kh 4-5 degrees.

i have been using Aquavitro for macro/micro and am making the conversion to dry ferts... but geesh, i am just struggling with this for some reason!! lol... help!!!

Chris.

2. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Are you simply looking to dose EI levels of each Macros and micros?

I put your above numbers into Rotala Butterfly.

70gal tank
    500ml bottle
    166ml dose

KNO3 = 9.7603 grams
    K2SO4 = 13.3396 grams
    KH2PO4 = 1.4867 grams

Your micro numbers are basically the same.
    CSM+B = 2.4445 grams

These numbers were based off Rotala Butterfly's EI calculation.

Not to sure if that helps or not.

#2 slipfinger, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  3. cjThomas

cjThomas New Member

Local Time:
    thank you for the reply....

yes... just looking for a starting point on macros and micros; im finally getting my tank back up after a 2 year hiatus and decided to go the dry fert route over the bottled junk ive been overpaying for in the past.

your insight helps a tonne; and... im not crazy then... i keep running numbers between the nutri-calc calculator the rotalabutterfly calculator and Zorfox's calculator and i keep coming to seemingly (from my current ignorant POV) wildly different conclusions with regard to how much of what to use...

i know that EI is simply a general rule and starting point, etc.... but the differences seem greater than arbitrary or estimative... its been driving me nuts, lol... i keep thinking im using one or all of the calculators incorrectly.

i had hit the same numbers as you suggested using the Rotala site.... so that makes me feel a bit better....

the rotala site doesn't seem to take into account that im dosing potassium from three sources... but in reality, i guess its not really that much greater than the 30ppm target (37 and change).... i suppose thats where experience and fine tuning come in...

Thank you slipfinger for taking the time to help out the ignorant... it is VERY much appreciated...
    chris.

geektom likes this.
  4. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:52 AM
    I am right there with you on being confused from getting Potassium from 3 different sources- it seemed like so much when I added all 3 together! But if the target is 30, then I am actually under that, so I guess not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. cjThomas

cjThomas New Member

Local Time:
    geektom... gorgeous german blue in your pic.... i had a pair in the last set up and plan for the same in this one.... I don't suppose you have a line a where i could look to find them when im ready, do you? ;-) i noticed that liveaquaria.com has them, but.......

edit: upon further review.... IS that a german blue ram?? the color is a bit different....

geektom likes this.
  6. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Actually, it is a Bolivian Ram, and it wasn't mine- just a picture from google because I hope to keep a School of them in my next tank, which will be a 150g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Rahul Jawahar

Rahul Jawahar Subscriber

Local Time:
    Just stick to one calculator and you should be fine. I use rotalabutterfly only. I have confirmed their results by manual calculation.

Jason King likes this.
  8. cjThomas

cjThomas New Member

Local Time:
    Rahul,

excellent. thank you very much for the insight. rotalabutterfly it is.