Another method for CO2 diffusion: needle wheel powerheads

DaBub

Guru Class Expert
Oct 18, 2009
jarthel;45021 said:
The thread title says "co2 diffusion". How do I diffuse CO2 with just an impeller? I'm sure more parts are required. I'm wondering how all these parts go together :)

thanks again

Pretty much that is it, just send the co2 through the intake. Many just use it as is, or feed a spray bar.

Many folks use this as a starting point. Then feed the venturi or some other type of 'counterflow' device.

In the world of the complex, this really is just that simple and for those who love to watch bubbles whiz around the tank it is just marvelous.

JAS

Junior Poster
Jan 14, 2010
A couple of days ago I tried a quick needle wheel mod using a 1000lph powerhead I had laying around. I'm sold; easy to maintain, easy to implement, and very effective. But I hate having equipment in the tank and don't want to use an external pump that would require its own inlet/outlet.

Instead I'd like to run a small pump on a parallel loop from an Eheim 2028. The filter should supply enough flow to disperse the mist, so the only real requirement is that the pump's powerful enough to smash the CO2. An Eheim 1046 or 1048 would work, but I also noticed the 1005, which is the size of a small powerhead, pumps only 270lph, and can be used externally like the larger Universals.

The question is, would the 1005 be too wimpy for the task?

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Running pumps is series will definately shorten their life. This is well proved in watercooling and it shouldn't be different with our pumps.

If you hate the idea of an independant loop, you could use this new unique UP CO2 Atomizer, look for it on ebay or in the link in my signature

JAS

Junior Poster
Jan 14, 2010

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Trade Offs

Hi,

Everything is a trade-off.:)

Unless you have pressure rated pumps with head to spare a dedicated pump on a separate loop is as Jonny pointed out the way to go.

Frankly if I can keep it out of the tank I do.:cool:

Biollante

JAS

Junior Poster
Jan 14, 2010
I definitely understand you on that. :)

Problem is, my little ol' bad back can't take moving around monster filters like the 2080, 2260, or FX5... yet in my infinite wisdom I chose to have a 125 gallon. So I'm already running two Eheim 2028 and two Eheim 2217 on the thing. And it's not drilled, so that's four inlets and outlets! A fifth set for a separate pump loop might just make my head explode.

I'd be comfortable running a small pump in parallel with taps to fine tune the flow rate. I'm just not sure how small a pump I could get away with using.