Another DSM flooding advice request

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
It's time to flood.

My HC is overrunning the riverbed and climbing the front glass.
The HM will soon swallow the Bridge.
The Polygonum and Lindernia are growing so much I'm beyond pruning and have begun to consider a weed-eater.
Even the Rotala, which up till just a couple of weeks ago I was about to write off, has started to show signs of expansion.

The facts:
90 gal
Turface allsport tan
60 g Osmacote +
Approx 7-8 weeks into DSM
The monsters listed above
two penguin 350 HOB sans biowheels (Canister(s) later when the $$$'s allow)
Catalina 4x54 T5HO on two circuits on sep. timers
Pressurized CO2: ext reactor on a sep Rio 180 (timer)
Drop checker: 100x.01g scale: access to DI water: PH reagent (I know the proceedure)
Ferts on hand KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B, GH Booster (soft water)

need advice on:
light: amout (108/216) and recomended photo period
when to start full EI considering the amout of Osmacote present

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
CO2, many water changes for the next 2-3 weeks, like every 3rd day, canister filters, lose the HOB's.

I'd do 1/2 EI for now.
CO2 is really the key thing till the plants adapt to submersed growth.
I'd run lower light for a week or two, then after new growth appears, you might consider more.

Regards,
Tom Barr

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
FLOOD SUCCESS : Many Thanks to Many People

Flood complete
Light at 108w
CO2 going right at 3 b/sec - lime green dropchecker (down from a faint greenish blue)

The Polygonum looks great. The HC and HM are taking to the water just fine, so far, as is the Lindernia. Even the Rotala is pearling at the tops. (I'll get some pic's up soon)

I'm saving for some canister filters (I like redundancy) but we've had some unexpected household expenses so it may be a while.

Many thanks to a long list of members:
Biollante
Philosophos (Dan)
LeftC
Gerryd
Tug
Shoggoth43
+ many more(I'd have to go back through all my previous posts to find them all)

Special thanks to Wet for the plants he traded to me for the Fabco vernier mod dialset.

A very special thanks to Tom for supplying this forum and the excellent reasearch, methods, and advice. Money very well spent.

I know I've just started but I don't think I would have come this far without all your help.

Thanks once again,
Pat

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Keep on the CO2, trim HC more than you think, new leaves will be different in terms of CO2, so trim off the older ones. HC can be trimmed aggressively, it's a weed.

Water changes and trimming and CO2 for the next month.
Then things should settle down after.

Regards,
Tom Barr

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the responce and the advice.

I've been moving my DC around and I seem to have good overall coverage. Need to move it down low though to see how it’s doing down around the HC and HM. I'm planning 50%-60% WC's and 1/2 EI dosing on a three day rotation.

On the HC trimming, should I wait till I start to actually see new growth or trim preemptively?

Thanks,
Pat