This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Another Bba Thread...uhg

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by JeremyDMeyer76, Mar 28, 2020.

1. JeremyDMeyer76

JeremyDMeyer76 New Member

Local Time:
    7:08 AM
    Long story short this 80 gallon tank has had lots of "phases". As a newb I couldn't help myself and pretty much planted every type of plant I could get my hands on in it.

I've since pulled mostly everything except my Bucephalandra, anubias, needle leaf java, and a few clumps of blyxa.

I think I want to make this tank an all slow grower tank (low maintenance) but before I do much more I need to do something about the BBA.

It's pretty much everywhere and on everything. Being its practically everywhere I'm considering doing a blackout or full tank treatment using glute but I dont want to hurt my fish. I have a gallon jug of Excel on hand but am afraid of how overdosing it will affect my fish.

I've drastically cut down photo intensity, increased flow, inject C02 24/7 and have manually removing it.

I'm not sure what else to do. Will it eventually just go away on it's own if I've fixed all the things that would make it grow?

- Light 4 Guissman T5's and 2 Kessil A360W
    - CO2 controlled by Apex controller griggs reactor
    - pH difference between fully de-gassed and fully gassed? 1.2 points
    - Current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, pH and TDS readings? N03 10, GH 8dkh, KH 2dkh, TDS 160ish ppm
    - What you are dosing (product and quantity) and how often? 2-3x a week Thrive+
    - Substrate type and how long has it been in place? Pool sand year+
    - What is your filter setup? Wet/dry sump
    - Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)? 40% weekly
    - Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom? Vortech MP40 on 10% some slight surface agitation
    - What is your water source and do you use a water softener? RODI remineralized using
    MgSO4.7H2O(Epsom Salt), CaSO4.2H2O(Calcium sulphate - hydrated)

I add a sprinkle of KHCO3(Potassium bicarbonate)

Any help or advice would be great!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#1 JeremyDMeyer76, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. Pauld738

Pauld738 New Member

Local Time:
    5:08 AM
    How much Thrive per dose?
    How long are the lights on? Schedule?

My first thought was, too much light and not enough ferts. Your 10ppm of nitrate is low.

Also try pushing co2 more. Many go lower than 1.2 drop. Using pH as an indicator of co2 you have to take in to account your starting point. So what may seem like alot may actually not be alot of co2.

Have you thought about using Excel for a bit?

Just my .02 cents

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. Mike Go

Mike Go New Member

Local Time:
    8:08 AM
    I would go dark for 3 days while using Excel. Excel works at night.:D

4. easternlethal

easternlethal Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:08 PM
    In my experience, most new tanks go through this phase within 8 months due to organics from the substrate (even inert ones like sand).

This is because new packs contain dust, oil, etc which start to decompose when water is first added. This is why people who stick with water changes and cleaning eventually get it under control.

You can see how dirty new substrate is by pouring a fresh pack it into a filled tank. Debris and dirt will cloud up the water.

This is why I always rinse substrate at least 15-20 times before adding it. Even that will not get rid of things which don't belong there and bba will set in for a while (only less).

Gravel vac, 90% water changes and manual removal will help a lot. Also ease up on the ferts if the plants are not showing deficiencies. Good luck!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk