Another BBA question

matpat

Prolific Poster
Mar 29, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
I have a constant BBA problem in my tank. While this sounds bad, it is confined to the substrate and only appears on the Eco Complete. The substrate is a mix of Eco and Tahitian Moon Sand. I suppose it could also be on the TMS but it is just too tiny to see the TMS grains :)

The BBA appeared shortly after I began using a Milwaukee SMS-122 pH controller. The CO2 levels are in the 40-60ppm range according to the controller. The controller seems to turn the CO2 on when the pH hits about 6.6 and it shuts off the CO2 at 6.4. The KH is measured with a Lamotte kit and the controller is double checked with a Hanna 98129 so I'm hoping the results are close to accurate.

Could it be that the fluctuating CO2 levels are causing the BBA to grow even though the CO2 levels are in the 40's at their lowest? Or could it be the Eco itself? It has me stumped and I'm getting tired of picking out the affected pieces of Eco with tweezers :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Another BBA question

Rather than picking the BBA infested pieces, bury them deep into the gravel.
You can use a small cup inside the tank to put the BBA infested pieces into so you do not have to remove your arm each time etc.

I'd keep the CO2 up and trim etc well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

matpat

Prolific Poster
Mar 29, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Re: Another BBA question

Thanks Tom! I have been using a Pyrex measuring cup to get at the pieces...it is just very irratating to say the least. I think I will try and bury them before the next water change and see how that goes.

So far no need to trim any plants or clean any equipment. The BBA is only on the Eco...I may just take the controller off of the tank and see how it does. There didn't seem to be too many issues before I started using the controller.