Angelfish - Need advice on medication

Monilovesplants

Prolific Poster
Nov 27, 2011
Sarasota Florida
Ok. My first deworming seemed to work in my Angel tank (will need to do it for every weekend for a month to get rid of Callamanus worm) but one of my Angels must be weakened (the big one) and he's got a slight scrape and some white puffy fungus developing on him. I know they can get secondary infections. Right now I'm trying KanaPlex by Seachem but it says to only do it for three days (every second day). If he doesn't get cured at that point, I will most likely have to treat him with something else.

I have all sorts of fish meds: Nitro Forte, Fish Ampicillin, Triple Sulfa, Furan 2, and some Myacin. I'm basically trying to decide what is safest for planted tanks and will help him heal up. I'll be rotating meds in which means I'll do the worming in between. I know I can't mix the two so that means using media to remove one and start up another. What medications have you all tried for these sort of things...is it better to wait after using the KanaPlex and see if nature works....add salt? My last set of Angels had a nasty fungal type infection that affected their eyes and I think it was Septicemia and I couldn't save them. I'm worried this may be the same thing and maybe I didn't realize they'd passed it on to this Angel.

Basically, if any of you have advice on when to use certain meds or some great links that really do a better job of explaining usage, I'd love the advice. Thanks.

Monica

P.S. If you know of some really strong stuff - maybe need to order them - I'm open to those ideas as well.

Monilovesplants

Prolific Poster
Nov 27, 2011
Sarasota Florida
Going with a cocktail....

Well, I'm suspicious that this thing my Angelfish has is nasty. I found a few websites that use three medicines at the same time: Nitrofuran (think that's the name), KanaPlex and Parasite guard. I'm doing that now and he's FINALLY starting to heal up.

Monica

Yo-han

Guru Class Expert
Feb 6, 2011
Netherlands
No suggestions about the fungus but you don't need to treat for Camelanus every weekend. It is better to do it every other weekend because it has a +/-14 day incubation period at 25 degree. Do treat it at lest 2 times but better 3-4 times. Vacuum the gravel 24 hour after medication every time because worms are paralized and dropped on the gravel sometimes.

Monilovesplants

Prolific Poster
Nov 27, 2011
Sarasota Florida
Thanks...that helps

I was so worried about that one. At least now I know I can treat for the infection THEN treat again for the worm. I need to cure him up a bit. I had two other Angels who died from a nasty fungal like infection in that tank and I was worried this one was developing the same thing. That's why I went with the three meds. I kept reading about a viral infection that's coming out of the orient and that it's contagious and can spread so I'm suspicious that maybe that's what I have. I also read that people saved their fish by using the triple med techniques. I don't want to continue losing them. This looks like it's getting better so I'm hopeful.

Monilovesplants

Prolific Poster
Nov 27, 2011
Sarasota Florida
Quick Update

The Angel is definitely looking better. I'm continuing the q-tip treatment of using Gentian Violet and I've noticed that where I've used it, the fungal infection is DEFINITELY reducing. I have a few blue spots on fingers but that's because I should have worn gloves. Either way, it does seem to help. I thought I'd mention it as it's definitely something to consider adding to the medical cabinet in case any of you have never heard of it.

Monica

AgreernWeef

Junior Poster
Dec 12, 2014
Angelfish Need advice on medic

So should I move my goldfish into the longer one an my angelfish and tropical fish into the taller one