This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Angel Fish in a 55

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by csmith, Feb 16, 2010.

1. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    6:02 PM
    Can anyone give me an idea on how many angels can be reasonably put into a 55 gallon, moderately planted tank? I've seen between 2-8 and that's quite a difference between numbers. I also plan on throwing in some of the larger tetras, maybe some hatchets. I'm more focused on the angels than the others for now. I don't care about breeding pairs, so that isn't really an issue.

2. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:02 AM
    I have two in a 20 gallon tall. They would be a lot happier in a 55 gallon. More importantly, the other fish would be much happier. I do not know if I would keep more then 4 in a 55 gallon. If you are looking at keeping a community tank you might think about keeping only two Angels. As I understand it they like a two foot long area to themselves when they breed. My two Cents. Maybe someone can be of more assistance.

#2 Tug, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  3. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I agree with Tug. I have two in my 53 gallon and you will see that it's about the limit. Even 4 is going to be cramped when they are fully grown. If they start to breed they get kind of territorial and where can the other fish go?

Regards,
    dutchy

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I think Tug has it right. I had 4 in a 55 some time ago and the breeding pair kept 90% of the tank for themselves.

All the other fish were stuck on one end...........

5. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I usually see something like 1 fish per ten to fifteen gallons. However, whether or not you care about a breeding pair, the fish certainly will. A pair will easily claim a 2 foot cube with no problems. In my old 75 the big one would shoot across the tank with no problem to hit another fishn presumably just in case it was getting ideas. If you want to do this, be prepared to plant large plants as view blocks and possibly chabge things around from time to time to keep a level playing field.

Also, the more you have in there the more likely you'll be to have a breeding pair.

-
    S

6. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    6:02 PM
    Two it is. Seeing as there isn't a larger group to disperse the aggression, will the one constantly bully the other? I'm looking for something nice to look at, not aquatic Fight Club.

7. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Most of the time there is one that is dominant, you can notice that with competition for food. I have not seen constant bullying amongst angelfish. If you are lucky and get a male and female they are very peaceful and interactive.

regards,
    dutchy

8. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If I were to tell you the female is dominant would it surprise anyone.

I'm actually not sure which one is dominant. Mine are pretty happy together. Some things to do that help. It is nice if your LFS has already paired them or just look for pairs when you shop around. Also, having a dither fish in the tank helps. A school of Rasbora espei will act as attractive dithers for an Angelfish.

My Angelfish get along with three Oto cats and I am looking for a red-lizard catfish. One behavioral pattern I noticed when I turned on an actinic bulb at the end of the day. I have my suspicions that this can encourage breeding and every night it comes on they lock lips in a kissing fashion.

9. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Or fighting fashion ;)