anaerobic substrate problem?

bluedragon

Prolific Poster
Apr 21, 2010
Burlington, Massachusetts
Hi
After reading Chand320 post on csmith's thread "Stems Rotting Dead Center", I started looking at the problem of rotting stems I have that has been going on for few weeks now. I plant stem plant in one particular area and the stem rots. I cut the rotted part and plant it again and it rots again. Some stem I have left are about couple inches tall now :( I poked the substrate (laterite and gravel) with stick and in some places 1 or 2 bubles came. Not sure if that means the substrate is not anaerobic. But I have dead zone right next where co2 is getting injected. And glowssos are right under co2 mist yet they are growing upward. What could be the problem? I have attached pic of my tank with the current flow, please suggest..

Tank Spec:
Tank Size: 55 gallons
Light: 130 watts (6700k)X1
CO2: pressurized co2, 5 bps using Max Jet 600 which send the co2 as mists
Substrate: Laterite and gravel mix
Filteration: 2 HOB filters (both for upto 70 gallons and creates good surface turbulance), 1 Fluval 305 (for upto 70 gallons)
UV: 15watts Aqua connected to output of Fluval 305 and runs 24/7
Dosing: EI

Regards
NN

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Right Track Wrong Train

james.folsom;51721 said:
This a fairly cogent question for me lately. I've been pondering CO2, EI dosing and why algae is inhibited by this.
This may be unrelated but, but it's thread that's been rattling about my brain lately.

So those packaged, pre-chopped veggies, and fruits found in the Voo-Doo bags at the grocery store, are at the center of this pondering.
As a background for those who don't know about these things: A key element is CO2 enrichment of the atmosphere in the bags.
The companies are very secretive about the atmosphere and the bags themselves.
But what we do know is that the CO2 slows the metabolism, and prolongs the shelf life.
However, if there is too much CO2 it will trigger a fermentative metabolism, that promotes rot.

So I wonder if, and how this relates to aquaria, and aquatic plants? Could this be why algae won't grow when there is "sufficient CO2".
Could the plants rot, because they are too close to the CO2 outlet?

Hi James,

The “voodoo” packagings are Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) or equilibrium modified atmosphere packaging (EMAP), based on the Oxygen Transmission Rate (OTR) tailored by use of micro-perforated and micro-porous films. :gw

Low oxygen less bacteria, nitrogen is popular; carbon dioxide lowers the pH that also reduces bacterial growth. Carbon dioxide diffuses through plastic films faster than oxygen (2-6 times). Carbon Dioxide is tricky since different plant products have different requirements and tolerances.

I will stop here this is well into Ol' Gasbag territory... :) Except to say it really isn't so much secretive as no real consensus.

Biollante

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Oops, My Bad

Hi,

No intention to offend, I thought it was an honest question, my mistake.

I also did not wish to go in to it so far. In truth I can generalize about CO2 and O2 rates in a general conversation.

Be well,
Biollante

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Post harvest companies are squirrely anyways.

I do not think this applies too well for us.
Just dose the gas, most will get degassed and lost above anyway, so it's a losing battle really.
Buy a gas tank and needle wheel it in.

Regards,
Tom Barr