This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

anaerobic substrate problem?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by bluedragon, Jun 7, 2010.

1. bluedragon

bluedragon Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    9:42 AM
    Hi
    After reading Chand320 post on csmith's thread "Stems Rotting Dead Center", I started looking at the problem of rotting stems I have that has been going on for few weeks now. I plant stem plant in one particular area and the stem rots. I cut the rotted part and plant it again and it rots again. Some stem I have left are about couple inches tall now :( I poked the substrate (laterite and gravel) with stick and in some places 1 or 2 bubles came. Not sure if that means the substrate is not anaerobic. But I have dead zone right next where co2 is getting injected. And glowssos are right under co2 mist yet they are growing upward. What could be the problem? I have attached pic of my tank with the current flow, please suggest..

Tank Spec:
    Tank Size: 55 gallons
    Light: 130 watts (6700k)X1
    CO2: pressurized co2, 5 bps using Max Jet 600 which send the co2 as mists
    Substrate: Laterite and gravel mix
    Filteration: 2 HOB filters (both for upto 70 gallons and creates good surface turbulance), 1 Fluval 305 (for upto 70 gallons)
    UV: 15watts Aqua connected to output of Fluval 305 and runs 24/7
    Dosing: EI

Regards
    NN

#1 bluedragon, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
  2. james.folsom

james.folsom Guest

Local Time:
    3:42 AM
    deleted deleted

#2 james.folsom, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Right Track Wrong Train

Hi James,

The “voodoo” packagings are Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) or equilibrium modified atmosphere packaging (EMAP), based on the Oxygen Transmission Rate (OTR) tailored by use of micro-perforated and micro-porous films. :gw

Low oxygen less bacteria, nitrogen is popular; carbon dioxide lowers the pH that also reduces bacterial growth. Carbon dioxide diffuses through plastic films faster than oxygen (2-6 times). Carbon Dioxide is tricky since different plant products have different requirements and tolerances.

I will stop here this is well into Ol' Gasbag territory... :) Except to say it really isn't so much secretive as no real consensus.

Biollante

4. james.folsom

james.folsom Guest

Local Time:
    deleted deleted

#4 james.folsom, Jun 7, 2010
  5. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Oops, My Bad

Hi,

No intention to offend, I thought it was an honest question, my mistake.

I also did not wish to go in to it so far. In truth I can generalize about CO2 and O2 rates in a general conversation.

Be well,
    Biollante

6. james.folsom

james.folsom Guest

Local Time:
    deleted deleted

#6 james.folsom, Jun 8, 2010
  7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Post harvest companies are squirrely anyways.

I do not think this applies too well for us.
    Just dose the gas, most will get degassed and lost above anyway, so it's a losing battle really.
    Buy a gas tank and needle wheel it in.

Regards,
    Tom Barr