This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Amount of lighting for a 5 x 2 x2

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by brendokae, Apr 4, 2010.

1. brendokae

brendokae Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:04 AM
    Hello Helpful People in Aquarium Land,

I am Looking at upgrading my current 4 x 1' 6" x 1' 6" to a 5 x 2 x 2. I currently use a 4 x T5 4 foot 55 Watt fixture and want to use it in my 5x 2 x 2. I have heard that T 5 lighting does not have enough penetration for a two foot deep tank for grow plants like HC, Is this correct. I am a Electrical engineer and was thinking about adding two more T5 Lights so it would be 6 x 55 Watt T5 Fixture wiil this be enough for a high light Aquarium, if not I an considering a Metal Halide fixture.

Any Recommendations would be appreciated.

2. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Depth of the tank won't likely be an issue. T5 is probably enough. T5HO will definitely not be a problem. SPREAD over the tank might be more of a problem. I think Tom uses the 8 bulb unit over his 180 to get a more even spread of lighting. I don't know recall if he uses all of the bulbs at the same time though.

-
    S

3. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm using 4 rows of T5's with reflectors on my 180 gallon which is 72 x 24 x 26 and I grow HC without any problems.

regards,
    dutchy

#3 dutchy, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
  4. brendokae

brendokae Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Guy's I will probally install 8 55 Watt T5's Then. I see Tom Barr does not seem to like Metal Halide lights