This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ammonium & Bio Ring

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by kizwan, Jun 17, 2020.

1. kizwan

kizwan Member

Local Time:
    12:33 AM
    Hello,

I have a 4 feet tank (119 gallon) which only 2/3 filled. It have canister filter with only sponge & wool filter media in it. I had a big gold fish (locally called "smangkin") & a gold gourami fish before but died after a couple of years. Because there is no fish interesting to me, I add one male betta fish in it around mid March this year.

6 days ago I add water lettuce mainly because I have so many of them & I want to save them to replenish my planted tanks if I need to. 3 days ago I add bio ring (ceramic ring) in the canister filter. For the water change I did partial water change like 15-20% every two weeks. Using water conditioner. PH is 6-7, temperature is 31.7C (fluctuates between 31-32). My betta didn't show any sign of stress & like to spent considerable amount of time swimming at the bottom. I think he like water lettuce too because he like to hangout near them.

I only have Api ammonia test kit. You can see the test result below. Since my betta look fine, I assume the test detected ammonium. Of course, the best course of action is by doing big water change (50%) because ammonium can change back to ammonia in right parameters like high pH & temperature. Considering pH & temperature are always stable, can I avoid doing big water change & wait for the beneficial bacteria to established on the bio ring? Once established, they should take care ammonia/ammonium right?

Thank you.

IMG_20200616_114247.jpg

#1 kizwan, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    5:33 PM
    Yes. Once the media establishes it should take ammonia in water lower.

kizwan likes this.