This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ammonia in my tank. Please help.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Benealing, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Benealing

Benealing Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:36 AM
    Hello,

I have a 20H.

I tested my water this morning with the API test and am still getting 0.25-0.5 ppm of ammonia. I confirmed with RO water that the test does indeed show 0 when it is 0.

I need help figuring out why.

I change 50% water each week. I dose GLA EI. I feed live brine shrimp several times a week as well as omega 1 flakes/discus granules (when I don't feed the brine shrimp), and 2 algae wafers every 2-3 days.

I have 4 otocinclus, 4 platy, 4 zebra danio, 24 cherry shrimp, 1 amano, 3 nerites, and numerous pond/ramshorn snails.

I have an AC70 with two foam pieces, biomax, purigen, and polyfill. I have a whisper 20 with biomax in a reusable cartridge (no carbon), and a thin foam insert.

I inject CO2.

My pH is 6.6. Nitrite neg, Nitrate 40-50ppm (on day 7 before the water change). kH 7 drops, gH 9 drops, TDS 411.

I do not see any dead critters laying around, however, I can't see all of my tank.

I am doing a water change today. Should I do more than 50%?

How else can I find out my ammonia source?

Despite the apparent ammonia. The fish are very active and eating well. The shrimp are all over the place eating. No one appears to be in distress.

Thank you for your help!!

Ben

2. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Ben,

What is your plant mass? Are your plants growing? Any algae issues? Substrate? Lighting? Typically, a well planted tank can easily take care of any ammonia. The Purigen may be working against you. It's reported to control ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, you want the later. I never use anything but filter media in any filter. Let us know.

3. Benealing

Benealing Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Heavily planted since December 2014. Plants are growing great. Minimal algae issues. Substrate is regular aquarium gravel. Lighting is LED run 7-7.5 hours per day. It hangs 21 inches above the substrate. It is an 18 inch zoomed aquasun LED with the plant modules installed (2 modules, each has four 1 watt 6500K LEDs and two 0.5 watt red LEDs), and 2 CREE PAR 30 9x2 watt, 90 degree angle 6500K spot lights (one on each end of the tank where the 18 inch light does not cover). Nitrates were 50ppm prior to water change.

Plants include:

Water wisteria

Dwarf lettuce

Red ludwigia

Java fern (staight leaf and windelov)

Anubias

Guppy grass

Alternathera

S. repens

Peacock moss

Subwassertang

Dwarf Sag

Rotala rotundifolia

Crypt wendtii

bolbitis

and several other stem plants.

I used the purigen because of a very slight haze in the water that I could not get to go away.

Food for the fish is brine shrimp every other day and them either omega one flakes or discus granules alternating. I also place 2 algae wafers every 2-3 days.

Thanks!

Ben

4. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Looks like all is well. I wouldn't worry about the test kit readings. RO would prove that the kit is working. Accuracy of the kit could be off. I would continue on unless you see a problem. I suggest you read any sticky articles on this site concerning substrate, lighting and EI. Many members have proven these methods. Good luck