ammano shrimp possible snack?

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
I have a 3 in golden killi I put 2 dozen glass shrimp in the tank erlier today and can't find any now. I watched my emerald rainbows go up to them and if they were big enough they left them alone. The question I have is putting ammano shrimp in this tank will they become a snack or do you think they will be left alone? This is a 125 gal tank moderetly planted.

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
You never know, but I think they should be fine. BUT I thought they would be fine with a colony of Dwarf Cichlids...I was wrong. Or they may have just died from the stress of shipping ect. or something I did wrong, but I suspect the cichlids. Sometimes more aggressive fish will pick them apart.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Killis eat shrimp!

Even ones their own size!
They are vicious predators for their size!

Regards,
tom Barr

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
Ok I have emerald rainbows, neon rainbows, odesa barbs, and bloodfin tetra's in this tank also . If I got fid of the killi's do you think they would do fine in this tank? No other fish are bigger than 2-2 1/2 in.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've had Killis 1" to 1.5" eat every shrimp in the tank.

They are meaner than sin when it comes to feeding on shrimp.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Haha,

You got the killi lesson for sure.

I love killi fish, they are great for planted tanks, but they do eat shrimp and most anything they can gulp down, and they also are jumpers.

The rest of the fish are fine.

I had such healthy killis that grew and bred so well, as my shrimp all where missing.
They are very good jumpers also.

Hard lesson, but one you will not forget.

Regards,
Tom Barr

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
Thank everyone for their help. I was not heart broken when I found him on the floor, he was an interesting fish I will say cause until I introduced the shrimp he never left the top of tank. My favorite fish in my tank have to be the emerald rainbows, I seen these in the lfs and waited till their local breeder came in with more 9 mos later.