This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

amazon sword problem?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by hani, Dec 18, 2007.

1. hani

hani Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:15 PM
    my amazon sword which is about 8 month old, was dowing very will, but am noticing that the new leaves are starting to melt, CO2 IS ON TARGET, am doing EI, could that be a calcium issue? or iron issue?
    thanks

2. jmpease

jmpease Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I'm certainly not as qualified as some of the other members here...but assuming your CO2 and nutrient levels are sufficient, could this be a lighting issue? When was the last time you changed your bulbs?

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When you say the CO2 is on target what do you mean? Are you using a drop checker with 4 dKH distilled or deioniized water in it? Or is the "target" the pH you set on a controller. One thing large sword plants do is slurp up nutrients like a sponge. So, you might want to try increasing your nitrate and phosphate dosing by a factor of 1 1/2.

4. hani

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    picture of the problem

i do have enough light, 4w/g, i do use a CO2 drop C. WITH 4KH., here is my pictures, the only thing i did diffrent is to cut back on my fert over the last 4 weeks, since my testing was always showing kno3 at the 40-50 range by lemotte kit. i kept it at around 10-20, am not sure if the plants wants more? some one will be able to tell from the pictures maybe
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/hani70/Picture077.jpg
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/hani70/Picture086.jpg
    thanks

5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The EI method doesn't use testing to determine how much of any nutrient to dose. When you decided to cut back to half the EI recommended amounts you stopped using the EI method. With 4 watts per gallon on any tank bigger than 10-15 gallons is very high light intensity, which will make the plants grow as fast as they can, limited by whichever nutrient they run out of first. I suggest raising that light higher above the water to reduce the intensity, or using fewer of the light bulbs. Then go back to dosing per EI.

6. hani

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    anyother thoughts?
    thanks