AM Reactor 1000 vs UP Aqua Atomizer

douahe

Junior Poster
Nov 29, 2010
Washington
GillesF;69231 said:
I have it too and it's normal, at night the water will seep back into the atomizer through the filter. When the co2 turns back on, the water will be pushed back due to the pressure. I don't know why it seeps into the atomizer, maybe the pressure drops slightly when the co2 shuts off?

The problem is that until the pressure pushes the water back out, the CO2 output is useless, and mine seems to take pretty much all day to do that. They only way it does not is if I manually increase the pressure until the water is out, and then decrease it after. I am not able to do that every day.

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Not to highjack the discussion going on but another idea struck me a while ago. I understand that many of you are using UP atomizers for CO2 diffusion. I even bought one myself just to try it out. But what about injecting oxygen with such a unit?

I'm wondering if the manufacturer might be able to alter the ceramic membrane in such a way that an alternative version could be used for 02 injection. Requiring just a coarser ceramic plate I think. An in-line atomizer for oxygen supply during night time hrs would be one great device. Since I don't know who produces the unit may I ask more knowledgeable people to forward this idea to the manufacturer?

Thank you and best regards,
Detlef

Last edited by a moderator:

GillesF

Nov 1, 2010
Antwerp, Belgium
douahe;69243 said:
The problem is that until the pressure pushes the water back out, the CO2 output is useless, and mine seems to take pretty much all day to do that. They only way it does not is if I manually increase the pressure until the water is out, and then decrease it after. I am not able to do that every day.

That's strange. So the working pressure of your regulator decreases? If it does, then I think your regulator is the problem, it shouldn't lose pressure when co2 shuts off. Do keep in mind that those atomizers require a working pressure of at least 30PSI, preferably more.

@detlef: why not try it out yourself? :) Seems like a good idea. You could then install 2 atomizers on the same tubing: one for co2 during the day and one for o2 during the night. The only problem is to find a o2 bottle and a useful regulator.

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
@GillesF

I would NOT have tried it out even if I still had an atomizer (stupid me I gave it away to someone whom I lost track of). But.....UP CO2 diffusers cannot easily be used for 02 injection due to the high pressure the gas needs to be pushed through unless, as you said, a gas cylinder with reg was connected upfront. Even then the danger of very high oxygen build up arises (if pure 02 was injected) which calls for a self regulated system similar to the ones we use for pH controlled CO2 injection. This gets much too complicated and expensive.....at least for me.

Wasn't it the giant Behemoth tank where Tom used welding 02 for faster/better NH4 --> NO3 conversion? How the precise lay-out of this system was done he never described in detail as far as I can remember. May be he can chime in and think of a simple way to inject 02 into smaller tanks without introducing more crap? And no neither do I want to lift the Lily Pipe because it makes too much noise nor do I accept ineffective air stones.

An 02 atomizer connected to the filter outtake tubing is the way to go here IMO.

Best regards, Detlef