This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Am I going the right direction ?

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by shogsten, Mar 3, 2005.

1. shogsten

shogsten Junior Poster

I have quite the algae farm right now. The tank (see below for specs) has been setup for about 8 months - I was following Sears-Colin and recently (mid January) started using Tom's EI process because I couldn't get rid of all of the algae. Three weeks ago I left on a trip for work and apparently right after I left the filter stalled and shutdown. When I got home six days later I had major green water and the beginnings of an algae outbreak. I did a 50% water change pruned some plants and hooked up a UV unit. The UV quickly dispatched the green water and I did another 50% water change to help remove the dead algae. I was injecting C02 into the filter but slowly over time the ph has creeped up so a built a reactor last Friday and I still can't get below 7.4-7.5. The reactor increased perling tremendously but the algae growth has exploded as well. Despite nightly algae pickings, it's moving faster than I can. Am I going in the right direction ? Do I just need to ride it out ?

Tank 150 Gallon
    Filter XP3 and a very small hob that I use to disolve ferts into the tank turning it off makes no measurable difference in C02 levels
    Flourite (3 inches)
    Plants (Luwidga, Mayca, Anacharias, Annubia, Forest of Vals, some Hornwort)
    Fish ( Roughly 20 small tetras, 2 cory cats, 2 yoyo's, 6-8 oto's, many snails)
    Light Compact Flourescent 400W (10 hours a day)
    C02 Injection (cylinder) Reactor with a Rio 600 (2 inch diameter 12 long)
    Ph - 7.4-7.5 (7.2 out of tap - 8.5 after 48 hrs)
    KH - 17-18 (Well water from KH kit)
    GH - 10
    Nitrates - 40 ppm (after water changed (around 20))
    Phos - 3 pmm (out of faucet - need to dose by third day)
    Nitrite - 0
    NH4 - 0
    Micros - Greg Watson - 8 ml every other day

Thanks for your advice

Scott

2. Wö£fëñxXx

Wö£fëñxXx Prolific Poster

Re: Am I going the right direction ?

Is you're C02 DIY? I hope not on a 150g tank.
    If pressurized, increase C02.. Check for leaks with a light soapy solution sprayed on all hose's, fitting's etc. everything else look's good.

3. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

For that size tank I'd be dosing 50 ml of a Plantex CSM+ Solution 2-3 times a week ...

Tom's EI recommends 5 ml's of Flourish per 20 gallons every other day ...

If you divide 150 gallons by 20 gallons that equals 7.5 ... if we multiply that by the 5 ml's ... we get 37.5 ml of Flourish ... since our Plantex CSM solution isn't quite as strong as Flourish, we need to multiply taht by 1.25 which equals about 47 ml every other day ...

If you are wanting to dose daily ... that's still about 25 ml a day ... quite a bit more than the 8 ml you are dosing ...

I'll leave the rest of the tank questions and parameters to others ...

Thanks,
    Greg

4. shogsten

shogsten Junior Poster

Craig this CO2 is injected from a Cylinder ( I would need a truckload of DIY bottles). I don't think I can run the bubble rate any higher without adding a second reactor as I am forming a large bubble in the reactor already. I saw the reactor that Tom had put up so I modified my reactor last night to pull the venturi off the side, Ill see if that lets me up the bubble rate (right now around 1 bubble/sec counted at the end of the hose in the tank). Greg I'll try upping the micro's. I had been adding micro's everyday as it seemed to keep the Nitrates more on an even level, probably because I didn't have an excess.

I tweaked the reactor a bit last night, I added the venturi feature and I increase the length of the tube to 14 inches and I moved the CO2 injection point down two inches. I have the timer set to bring the reactor on about an hour before the lights and this morning PH was 7.3 so it made a difference. I'll be curious to see this evening if I hold to 7.3-7.4 or go back up to 7.5.

FWIW in the last week I have pulled half of a standard kitchen bucket of algae out of the tank. This is algae not plant trimmings, however last night I saw two of my older oto's and they are definitely fat and happy.

Scott

5. shogsten

shogsten Junior Poster

I didn't say but I have mostly hair algae, with a little bit of BBA. The BBA seems to have stopped spreading and was only on two leaves of a small sword. The hair algae is growing on almost all of the plants and the glass. I have very little if any algae on the substrate. Every week during the water changes I vacuum up in lose detrius on the top of the gravel around the tank.

Scott

6. Wö£fëñxXx

Wö£fëñxXx Prolific Poster

Scott
    I had to ask on the DIY ;)
    Greg is spot on with his recommendation, I read to fast when I first made my post, I dose 20 to 30 ml a week/ 8 to 10 ml 3x a week on my 46.. More trace would definitly be a plus.
    Hopefully you're C02 is pumping good now..8.4 out of tap...ouch.
    is that city water?