This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Always a problem when changing water or cleaning filter with RCS

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Tiago Nicolau, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    2:04 PM
    Hi all,

Im hating the days i change water or clean filter, here is why,

The day i cleaned my HOB filter, with tank water, cleaning the sponges and the plastic with a toothbrush, a few hours later, a healthy shrimp is dead,
    Healthy since he was perfectly colored like before, and no molting issues,

I tested the only parameter that could be off, wich is NO2 and came at a maybe false positive of 0,1ppm (distilled water comes a little less red)

The others are the same, pH at 7,2 (thought it was 8 but recalibrated pH meter and came at 7,2), kH at 3, gH at 5, TDS at 200, nothing changed..

Im looking at the others and they are active, even the new born shrimplets are still alive and moving a lot,

On my main tank i cleaned all the filters, changed water, add ferts, lot of CO2, and the suckers are living..

This gets a man demotivated, it was a young male, had so many females to play with :/

2. dbot

dbot Member

Local Time:
    I've seen you posting a lot lately but I don't quite remember your tank specs. Maybe it was a temperature thing or maybe even too big of a difference in the water when doing the water change?

3. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    Maybe more of a TDS thing instead of temp,

I didnt do any water change and i didnt take long to clean filter, temp didnt change more tahn 1ºc on worst,

As i remember, a day before that, i did a topping with DI water but i placed more than the lost water, so that may have lower the TDS for some 20 ppm,
    I didnt expect this to be much of a difference for RCS, but seems TDS is the worst thing for them to change,
    Shrimplets are alive, thats most strange since they are more vulnerable,

Weak shrimp may be a possible explanation,

On the 12g tank i dose EI, CO2, and TDS swings due to ferts and WC, they are living nicely, seems the fact to have a big plant mass changes things,

on this 15lt tank i just have java moss and drift wood, so i guess the best i do is not do water changes that frequent, maybe 20% every two weeks to remove any NO2 that may build up or other chemicals

From the 16 shrimps i had a month ago, now i have 10, 6 new borns, lets hope they dont die :/

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe more of a TDS thing instead of temp,

I didnt do any water change and i didnt take long to clean filter, temp didnt change more tahn 1ºc on worst,

As i remember, a day before that, i did a topping with DI water but i placed more than the lost water, so that may have lower the TDS for some 20 ppm,
    I didnt expect this to be much of a difference for RCS, but seems TDS is the worst thing for them to change,
    Shrimplets are alive, thats most strange since they are more vulnerable,

Weak shrimp may be a possible explanation,

On the 12g tank i dose EI, CO2, and TDS swings due to ferts and WC, they are living nicely, seems the fact to have a big plant mass changes things,

on this 15lt tank i just have java moss and drift wood, so i guess the best i do is not do water changes that frequent, maybe 20% every two weeks to remove any NO2 that may build up or other chemicals

From the 16 shrimps i had a month ago, now i have 10, 6 new borns, lets hope they dont die :/