This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aluminium Oxide grit as top coat

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by leo28n2000, Nov 10, 2017.

1. leo28n2000

leo28n2000 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:10 PM
    Can I use Aluminium Oxide sandblasting grit of 1-3mm size as black sand gravel for a planted aquarium? I plan to use mineralised soil as nutrient rich base layer which would be covered by this black sand. We dont get Black Diamond sandblasting grit where I live and am looking for something thats dark black in colour and cheap too. I have heard that Al. Oxide is harmful only at Ph below 5, if so I think I should be able to use it. Please help. Thanks.

2. ForTheHalibut

ForTheHalibut Member

Local Time:
    2:10 PM
    Using a mild neurotoxin as an aquarium substrate is probably not a great idea. Consider using pretty much anything else.

3. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:10 PM
    Aluminum Oxide is usually the 2nd highest % content on any coal slag product.
    Coal slag is inert and the actual contents are not available in the water column.
    @burr740 is proof of this as are many of the rest of us.

burr740 likes this.