This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Alum And Snail Removal

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Harris Tiu, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Harris Tiu

Harris Tiu New Member

Local Time:
    8:19 PM
    Hey All,

I would like to kill the snails on my new plants before introducing to my display tank.
    I figure that I should use Alum as I find its gentler than other treatments like bleach, h202 and salt.
    There are a few questions that I've got though.

1) I'm wondering about the dosages and durations.
    some folks say I should dose 3 TBS per gallon for 4 hours to be rid of the snails and the eggs.
    others say dose 1 TBS per gallon for 3 days to kill the snails and eggs.
    I know I could test this out but I would like to hear some success stories?

2) If it were practical and economical, should I provide Light, CO2 and Ferts for my plans while soaking 3 days in Alum?
    Surely it would be better for the plant to have a running metabolism with light, CO2 and ferts during a 3 day soak?
    The plant would be dependent on its fuel reservoir during a 3 day soak without light. Then it melts if the fuel reservoir runs out?

2. Joao

Joao New Member

Local Time:
    1:19 PM
    I suggest you try the non chemichal way. The way I got rid of all snails in my aquarium was to introduce 3 assassin snails "Clea helena" in my 30 g (1 assassin per 10 gallons) and in 2 months I got rid of a heavy snail infestation. Assassin Snails will not reproduce often and now I can rarely see them.

3. Harris Tiu

Harris Tiu New Member

Local Time:
    8:19 PM
    Will they run out of snails to eat at some point?
    if they do, then what will they live on later?
    bio-load is greatly reduced some time after introduction of assassin snails?

4. Joao

Joao New Member

Local Time:
    1:19 PM
    Assassin snails will eat all smaller snails. When all snails are permanently gone they will eat other things like dead leaves algae waste etc. It has been over a year that my aquarium is snail free and I still see an assassin snail once in a while.
    Depending on your infestation size I predict that your aquarium will take anywhere from 2 to 3 months until you cannot see anymore snails.

Tags: