This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Aloha from Honolulu, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tanks and Plants, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants New Member

Local Time:
    3:36 PM
    I just wanted to say Aloha! and Mahalo for letting me join this incredible forum!

Brandon

DutchMuch and Mike k like this.
  2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    8:36 PM
    Welcome to the board :)

What kind of tank(s) do you have?

3. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:36 AM
  4. Tanks and Plants

Local Time:
    Here are 2 pictures of my 33 Long. The water is a bit cloudy because I just came back from a week long vacation.
    My Aunty had to feed all of my fishes and I use these Gel Balls that contain beneficial bacteria. And I did mention to her that most fishes die when their owner lets someone else feed their fish. Before I left for my trip I did a water change and cleaned my filter and I purposely put in a lot of the gel balls to make sure that my filters were seeded. Thus I had a bacteria bloom. I did not loose any fishes and all my fishes were healthy On this tank I run a fx-4, Seachem Tidal 55, and a DIY "Mini style" sump.

IMG_2073.JPG This is my 33 Long, sorry it isn't the best picture.

IMG_1881.JPG

This is a picture of my room. I know it's messy and I got boxes all over the place.
    I breed Lamprologus Ocellatus "Golds", regular Kribs, and Brichardi's (I accidentally killed my entire tank. I had my breeding pair and around 40-50 Sub-juvies in the tank.)

Image 114.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks!

Jason King, burr740 and DutchMuch like this.
  5. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:36 AM
    Looks like a mad scientists room! I wish I had that theme going on ;P lucky.
    LOL
    But anyway like your tanks, especially the rainbows....!

6. Tanks and Plants

Local Time:
    Here is a Better picture.....

IMG_1775.JPG

7. Tanks and Plants

Local Time:
    Thank you for the kind words! I thought this picture had all the boxes all over my room. Thankfully it is a nicer picture LoL!

DutchMuch likes this.
  8. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Nice room!

I used to have a few tanks with smaller Tanganyikans. Brichardis are probably my favorite fish that Ive ever personally owned, had several breeding pair of those and Marlieri Julis.

How'd you kill the Brichardis? I had a heater stick one time and killed a huge pair I'd had for probably three years. Man I loved those fish! ://

9. Tanks and Plants

Local Time:
    I loved those fish too! They kept on breeding and breeding and breeding....

Well one day I was watching Cory from aquarium co-op and I wanted to make something he had mentioned. Now I am a true believer in over filtration. In all my tanks I have at least 2 filters, 1 of them is always a canister. In my Brichardi tank(20 Long). I had a Eheim 2217 and a Fluval 206. It kept my water super clean and it didn't cause much current. I also had a small hydrosponge filter.
    In that tank I had....

My Brichardi pair
    About 40-50 sub-juvenile Brichardi's
    2- clown loaches
    2- Zebra Botha's
    1-bushy nose Pleco

They all got along for the most part.....

So after I watcted Cory's video I went to my tank and took out the hydrosponge filter. This was about lunch time.
    I wanted to make this.......

IMG_2111.JPG

But the problem I had was my water bottle was too big and I didn't know how I was going to attach the water bottle to the hydrosponge. I had to go to the hardware store to buy a unibit because if I remembered correctly the bottle was supposed to fit right over the hydrosponge. Well after I got everything and drilled it didn't fit and I had to do other things. So I put it on the side, thinking that my 2217 and 206 would be more than enough. The next morning I woke up and went to my room to turn on all the lights in my tanks and when I went to my Brichardi tank everything was dead! I was like WHT! The only thing I did or took out was the sponge filter. BUT when I was cleaning up all the dead bodies the 2 clown loaches, 2 Botias, and Pleco were still alive! It surprised me because knowing clown loaches they are very sensitive to changes like that. I took them out and put them in my grow out tubs.

Here is what my Brichardi's looked like.....

IMG_1844.JPG

Image 71.jpg

Image 74.jpg

My male had super long fins and his color were just really nice.

That's how I killed all my Brichardi's. I think they died of lack of o2 any thoughts?

Thanks

Brandon

DutchMuch, Jason King and burr740 like this.
  10. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Strange indeed, guess it had to be the drop in O2. That sounds like a lot of fish for a 20 gal, maybe had barely enough O2 to begin with?

My big pair was also in a 20 long, along with a few dozen fry/juveniles, nothing else.

11. Tanks and Plants

Local Time:
    I agree, I was supposed to move the juvies into my growout tub. My laziness cost my fish their lives.

12. Leafinaforest

Leafinaforest New Member

Local Time:
    Alohas

From oahu also. Bum trips on the brichardi they were cherry. Plants look nice though!