This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

All You Need Is..iron. No Other Additives.

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Stan510, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    5:22 PM
    I agree with Dr. Novak. All the other strange brews are not needed unless,you are sure your tap water has none of something important. Otherwise you are wasting money and time using Nitrogen,Phosphates,Nitrates,Ammonia..and what else. Potassium MIGHT be needed. Not that I've noticed myself.
    No tablets ever.
    Watch this and a some others he's put out.
    Aquarium plant fertilizers What they don’t tell you and why? - YouTube

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:22 PM
    You are really hell bent on iron these days.
    Maybe in your case iron was the deficient element within your tank.
    In enough time maybe the next deficient compound will raise it's ugly head.

Many use RODI water and everything in the way of dosing must be provided.
    This is where EI dosing and GH booster come into play.

Many things in the video I would disagree with.
    Couldn't make it through the whole thing for this reason.
    Also the plant pics didn't really didn't show much.

3. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    It works so fast. Garden iron doesn't seem to do much. Iron gluconate does everything. Ok,Bolbitis is still a hard grow...but all my other plants are growing. It's nice to see Anubias in new leaves in a tank that gets sun with no black algae on it at all ( new leaves!) Swords,Nesaea,Lotus sp ( various) that I thought had died from my use of Hydrogen Peroxide for hair algae last summer..are growing again..better color than ever.
    Iron just doesn't make plants grow faster..it makes them bulkier..thicker leaves.
    Right now,I have the largest Sword I've ever gotten in 45 years of..normal care,no Co2. By far largest leaves. I like too iron gluconate does nothing to help algae like other mixes do.
    Try it,You'll like it! ( baby boomer joke)...

4. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  5. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Thank you very much,its been booked marked and when i get low on Seachem I will order that. I have many exotic plants outdoors in pots that I'm sure would thrive on iron gluconate..and that's from a guy who has used garden iron..with middling results on my outdoor plants. If you can make a plant deep green..why pollute the world with nitrates,phosphates, or ammonia?

6. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ammonium is the primary and preferred nitrogen source, nitrate runs second.
    A heavily planted tank can consume 3-4ppm's of NO3 per day.

Phosphate consumption I have never really paid attention to but I would imagine 2-3ppm's could be sucked up per week if not more in the same tank.

All of the compounds we put in our tanks are used as commercial fertilizers for terrestrial plants.
    How do you think Seachem makes theirs?
    Many ferts will have a statement on the label such as "derived from" thus stating various compounds.

The only difference would be the quantities of fertilizer involved for submerged vs. terrestrial.

7. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    That's why I bought the iron..what I saw in Flourish was just a token amount.
    Look,try it. I wouldn't say it hadn't done wonders so far,if it hadn't. Over the years I've tried fertilizers,rich soils..garden dirt..they all created algae attacks and so -so plant growth,OR very good SHORT TERM growth. As long as you hav a supply of IG...you are good.
    Even the wife noticed that the Tiger Lotus that came as close to death as possible after using hydrogen peroxide..is now once again growing well. I also now have three types from various sources. All look better than I ever had before..well,I did have one decades ago thrive over a UG filter and 4,40 watt grow bulbs of various colors.
    Ammonia? I have a low tech plant...with a healthy number of fish..some full grown Rainbows,Angels,Roseline barbs. Active fish who love to eat 3,4,5 times a day. I think I have diaper leftovers plenty for the plants.
    Watch the Dr.'s vids..he goes into Ammonia. He's right.
    Even you admit..aquatic plants and hydroponics are the same,only they don't have fish to provide the rest. They also try not to make water changes..as few as possible..they dump more chemicals.
    Now if you have a Co2 system..you either don't need it..or again,its ALL you need. Pretty darn close.

8. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    This is funny... Novak deleted all my comments on his "channel" woo-eee,He is thin skinned..I agreed with him on the ferts,not the lights..and that was enough for him to remove 3 or 4 i made on topics.

9. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    I also had one particular mod "lock" my iron gluconate post since he doesn't believe truth or photos on Aquatic plant central. Its funny how people are so closed minded. He would block Tom Barr at this rate..
    I've done what I preached..No co2..no dirted tank. I mean,trying to get every plant you like to grow in one small area..isn't natural. In nature they exist in full sun to full shade,high UV to low UV..I haven't even gotten to water conditions.
    So,I think I'm doing well for no Co2. Not warming the earth one iota!

10. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Most of this boasting and commenting on Fe is most likely taken as "Trolling"
    Therefore it gets shutdown/turned off.

Even if you used CO2 it would not be warming the earth any extra.
    Gas plants take atmospheric air and separate it into different gasses for industrial use.
    Since our plants are consuming it much less goes back into the atmosphere.

Michael is very open minded @ APC and he almost closed another of your threads there.
    Tom is a member there too, believe his handle is PlantBrain on APC.

Yes, many of us are members of many forums, planted tanks is a small world.

11. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    No,he's the opposite of open minded. You haven't seen the malarkey he's pulled. Somebody passed the don't feed the troll bs..Michel never did a thing.
    It's the dogma of dirt tanks rule over there. I don't see any long term advantage in them. Minimal. It's why most of the pro's don't do it.
    Boasting..what are you blind? first photos I posted here show a small sword...newest are of a getting large plant.
    I worked in horticulture...those house plants are not only old..the palms I grew from seed collected in the wild...of Florida!
    I propagated University collections..created plant sales. So to hear somebody with no credentials fail to show where Im wrong and then petulantly close not one,but TWO threads because he couldn't take the comebacks I gave in facts..that's not almost. I know the best people in the local Horticultural field and the botanical gardens.
    Crazy to hear somebody who has a 50 gallon try and tell me that I'm wrong?..not even that's your view..no,just shout me down..Trump like.
    I'm far from a snob..but to hear people say they read a book...compared to 45 years.
    I was more then friendly...but "modding is my life" takes over..gets too shallow and ridiculous.
    Its reasons like that the experts like me went to Facebook. You can only listen to so much wrong that they gave up.

12. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    I notice mods tell new people they are "boasting" when they themselves seem to live for the fawning posters new to the hobby give them.
    "Thanks you,i didn't know my Oscar would eat my neons.' lol. Like that.
    Some Mods,not all at all,but some..dish,but can't take.

13. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Hows this? Michael sends me an email saying he's giving me infraction no.3 for asking him, what did he do about the member who openly called for not "feeding of the troll"? He's penaling me for asking!/..ok,now tell me that's not a Michael vendetta? Sure..he's a real good guy.
    Al I've done is tell people how iron gluconate has turned my big tank into a success.This is a hobby forum. Interesting how KING does nothing but boast..and he gets defended because he has followers...and unlike me,I don't make things up for patreon or views...although I know that my posts do get high views. They always have on plant boards everywhere because I'm always trying something different...sometimes they don't work and sometimes works great..Mangos in the bay area. Co2 type plants in my non Co2 bay area tank.
    Hey did I tell you the lead aquarist at Steinhart Aquarium at the academy of sciences asked me to apply there years ago? "Would you mind taking care of the penguins?" he asked. I said, 'Uh no,I wouldn't'. I would have applied if the commute wasn't a killer...no public transportation directly either.
    Besides,I was already working in Natural Sciences at a local Museum.
    How about one last..Diane Waldstadt,also a mod at APC..hasn't said one word that I was wrong about anything at APC. Her and I get along fine.
    I bet you won't hear Tom Barr either...

14. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Since my last post HERE an hour ago? That troubled man has sent me TWO more emails making threats. How weirdo is that?
    None from Diane. No complaints from another moderator who made the mistake of agreeing with my that iron gluconate can make fast results. THAT sent Mike though the roof it seems.
    I mean it started when he sent me some strange warnings because I posted a vid- very popular in views on that forum since- of a warm spring in Austria. He RAILED it was destroying the ecosystem because for 500 meters aquarium fish survive.
    I think I summed it up best when I told him if Austria felt that little creek was a threat,they could rotenone every fish and poison every exotic plant in an afternoon. Yet,the the country of Austria does not. But MICHAEL knows better!
    Again,why pro's and scientist avoid hobby boards like the plague and go to Facebook. Tom Barr probably makes more posts on Facebook then he does the board named for himself!

15. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Oh,boy..he's sent a THIRD email ( 6 or 7 in total!)..another in the last half hour. I didn't even read it..delete,delete. Who needs to be harassed? You? Me?..nobody.

16. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Now,a fourth email. Insane. What did I ever do to the guy? Is he nuts? Thinks I flew to Austria and put fish in some thermal spring? I just posted a link. Never said anything like "you MUST do this..bwahaahaa."
    I think he's trying to prove to new mod Diana Walstad that he's her darling..sending me weird email because I asked him why he allowed a member to say feed the troll..and Michael said nothing. Go look. For everybody to see.
    He words his email to me..very Trumpian. Never admits he went overboard and wildly exaggerated over that you tube post as some kind of eco terrorist plot.

17. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Yep,the wacko "banned me". I must have destroyed some fantasy world of michael. All because OF iron and a youtube post. Yep,just earth shattering controversy...only to him.
    Its a dying board anyway. My posts got more views in 2 weeks than posts others made two years ago!..some ten!