All those terms, acronyms and definitions

aprendiz

Junior Poster
Feb 25, 2010
is something wrong with the page ??
Not Found
The requested URL /general-plant-topics/2418-common-abbreviations-used-site.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.barrreport.com Port 80

pepetj

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2008
Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep
A newby question on terms used in fertilizers: What does the three numbers listed in ferts label refer to?

Eg. Seachem's Flourish Nitrogen has the following three number listed: "1-0-2" while Phosphorus list the following: " 0-0.3-0.2" and Potassium list two zeros and then one value: "0-0-5".

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Npk

Hi Pepetj,

The numbers are indeed N (Nitrogen)-P (Phosphorus)-K (Potassium). :)

The numbers represent the percentage of nutrients in the total volume of the fertilizer package.

So in your example

• Seachem's Flourish Nitrogen "1-0-2" contains roughly 1% Nitrogen, 0% Phosphorus and 2% Potassium
  • Seachem's Flourish Phosphorus " 0-0.3-0.2" contains roughly 0% N, 0.3% P and 0.2% K
  • Seachem's Flourish Potassium "0-0-5" contains roughly 0% N, 0% P and 5% K

What it is really telling you is you are getting precious little for your money. :rolleyes:

The NPK can be a bit misleading and is designed and based on terrestrial plants. :gw

However you see why most of us roll our own... :cool:

Biollante

Ginger

Subscriber
Nov 12, 2015
PLEASE consider deleting all posts with dead links! I'm trying to be good and learn basics before I post about my tank problem. I'm about to give up.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Ginger said:
PLEASE consider deleting all posts with dead links! I'm trying to be good and learn basics before I post about my tank problem. I'm about to give up.

Please do not give up, try using the search function for better yields of posts

UDGags

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2009
Kettering, Ohio, United States
Ginger said:

We're all nice. If you're having trouble finding basic information just ask your questions and I'm sure someone will answer them for you.