This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

All kinds of algae: could use some advice

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by vijn, Dec 17, 2012.

1. vijn

vijn Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:38 PM
    Hey guys. First post on Barr's. Hoping you guys could help with an algae issue I've been having.

The setup.
    About 1.5 years old.
    50G standard tank
    60W (2x30) Aqua Glo t8, 60W (2x30) Daylight 6500k t12, about 4 inches above water line
    Heavily Planted
    Regular playground sand
    MicroMacro daily dose, 6x/week 40%WC on 7th day
    A few Fluorish tabs in the sand for specific plants
    DIY CO2 (2x2L bottles refilled on alternating weeks)
    lightly stocked about 25inches of fish
    PH approx. 7.5-8
    Amm. 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    DIY CO2 jumps out as the obvious issue. Light is relatively moderate by today's standards, but plenty to cause all the algae you have.

Dose Excel at the suggested amounts DAILY.
    Buy a gas tank CO2 reg etc.

Read up on the CO2 and algae threads.

3. Paul G

Paul G Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    In the end, you will have to be ruthless getting the black and hairy fern leaves completely out and stop trying to salvage them. There were times when I did the bleach soak and so forth. On the occasional Anubias leaf I had some success, but by and large I was happier just excising the infestation altogether. Java fern leaves just don't come back - at least, they didn't for me. Cutting them off stimulates new ones coming in. Of course, you need to get on top of the problem to stop further infestation.

I too suspect that you will start having better results with a pressurized CO2 setup that gets good dispersion throughout the tank.

4. vijn

vijn Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I was afraid of that. A CO2 system is just so expensive. The cheapest i found for this size was $325. Ugh. Any ideas where I can find one for less or do you have recommendations on where I could buy it online? Or is it better to get one locally. I'm in Montreal, Canada and am not sure where I'd find such a system.

Thanks Tom for getting back to me. I'll try that option and look for the CO2/algae thread.

And thanks Paul. You're probably right about just excising what's infested, but I kinda wanted to get a hold on the algae before, otherwise whatever new growth comes in will just be infested as well. At this point though, I think it's best to just get rid of what's covered and try to get my CO2 stabilised as much as a DIY can allow until i can find the money for a pressurised system.

Thanks guys. I think deep down I kinda suspected the same as you, which is why I was looking into systems a while ago to begin with, but i just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas. I appreciate it.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    You can cobble together a DIY CO2 system build for maybe 100$. Tank will be the biggest cost, a decent valve, reg, solenoid is all you basically need.

6. vijn

vijn Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Seriously? Any resources you can point me to in terms of the equipment and instructions. I'd really appreciate it. At $100 for the setup plus the tank, I'd be very interested. Thanks again for all your help Tom. Kinda cool that you're answering my posts. I've heard your name thrown around so much during all my research since I became an aquarist-ish. hehe. Good to actually e-meet you.

7. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

If you look in the c02 forum there are several sticky threads put together by Left C and Matt (and others) that explain a lot and have resources.

Ebay may be a good bet for some of this to purchase used.

I was able to purchase c02 tanks from a shop that does fire extinguishers and c02 berr kegs and the like.

The biggest expense is the regulator and needle valve assembly.

8. Paul G

Paul G Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Check where you live for gas supply stores where you can get CO2. This will be a beverage service/bar supplier or welder's/industrial gas supplier. Pricing per pound can vary widely, so it pays to look around. Here in metro Kansas City, a 5 pounder costs me $9 US. The first tank purchase will be more.

A combo regulator/bubble counter/needle valve/solenoid such as a Milwaukee MA957 or similar would be good start. This one is about as inexpensive as you will find that is of decent quality. It can be had on-line for under $100 US.

Then you need a diffusor. There are various methods, but an atomizer is probably the least expensive.

I assume you have a light timer - perfect for turning the gas off at night.

Others will probably have ideas to improve on the cash outlay, but you can get a system such as I have described here for well under the price of those packaged kits.

Good luck.

9. mike

mike Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi vijn,

I'm in Montreal also. The majority of my 125g tank and equipment was built from stuff I got off kijiji. Over a year ago I bought my first single stage reg and 20 lb tank off kijiji for $175. You have to look every day and don't delay in calling the seller.

if you do get a single stage reg though you have to keep an eye on the high presure, when you see it go below 100 lbs you refill it. If you let it get too low you risk a tank dump. As some have already told you, get your co2 under control then fight the algae.

As some have already mentioned you can try a fire extinguisher place. I get my tanks filled at Global fire Extinguisher in Lachine. I never asked if the have used regs but they may.

Mike

#9 mike, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I bought a new Victor medalist CO2 reg for 69$, 30$ for a valve, and then maybe 20-35$ for solenoid.
    A beer keg CO2 reg might run 20-30$ used. Off ebay

11. vijn

vijn Junior Poster

Local Time:
    THanks a lot guys for all your help and for pointing me in the right direction. My plants and fish will be very grateful. I hope you all enjoyed the holidays. :)

12. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If you want an example of what can be found on Ebay, search for Item number 230904654484. It is a victor dual stage CO2 regulator. You would need to add a metering valve, check valve and solenoid to it. You could use a cheapo "inline" bubble counter to save a few bucks.