all in one stock solution?

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
1,043
13
38
Grand Forks, ND
I have a dosing pump and would like to use it for EI dosing. Can i make an all in one stock solution for the week with macros, micros, and Gh booster using the guidelines in the EI light thread? Dose it daily or every other day over the course of the week? Anything i should consider?
 

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
3,210
2
36
Surprise, AZ
The Metal Is Heavy

Hi,

Generally, no, some of our chemicals do not work and play well together.

What are you dosing? We may be able to come up with something that works. I have recently automated my display tanks.

Biollante
 

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
1,043
13
38
Grand Forks, ND
Thanks, I could have gone back and reviewed my chemistry, but thought this would be quicker and less of a headache. haha I was concerned that things may precipitate out or make something harmful. I've heard of people using an all in one bottle, but wasnt sure how they did it.

Im going to be dosing a heavily planted 37 gal. CO2 injected tank with several stem plants, HC, anubias, microswords and maybe some others. I have never done this before, so i dont have anything i have already been using. I originally planned on using ADA step system, but like my money too much. I've seen the post with the ADA analysis, but the .pdf currently isnt posted.

Any suggestions or even suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.
 

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
266
1
18
ShadowMac;49925 said:
Thanks, I could have gone back and reviewed my chemistry, but thought this would be quicker and less of a headache. haha I was concerned that things may precipitate out or make something harmful. I've heard of people using an all in one bottle, but wasnt sure how they did it.

Im going to be dosing a heavily planted 37 gal. CO2 injected tank with several stem plants, HC, anubias, microswords and maybe some others. I have never done this before, so i dont have anything i have already been using. I originally planned on using ADA step system, but like my money too much. I've seen the post with the ADA analysis, but the .pdf currently isnt posted.

Any suggestions or even suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.

TPN + is an all in one solution from Tropica, it is expensive to use for some people, but i have seen DIY versions and how to make them.

Not sure for your gH though, but most people dose this once a week anyway on water change.

Sorry not much help :)
 

hbosman

Guru Class Expert
Oct 22, 2008
277
1
18
Leesburg VA USA
You could make one solution with Micros including iron and another solution for Macros (NPK) that would include Phosphate. You don't want to have iron and phosphate in one solution, they don't work well together. Others here can articulate better than I, the reasons why.
 

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
3,210
2
36
Surprise, AZ
Cheap & Easy

Hi,

TPN + would be about 50 ml per week and I still think you would need additional Phosphate, Magnisium and iron.

For a week’s dosing I recommend
KNO3 1 Teaspoon
Fleet Enema 3 ml (3⁄5 teaspoon)
Epsom Salt 1 teaspoon
These work and play well.

CSM+B ½-teaspoon
Fe DPTA 1⁄8 –teaspoon
These get along.

Biollante
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
747
113
You can also look at PMDD + PO4 in the EI subforum, all you do is add the weekly, or 4-8 week amoutns to water, dose that water's entire volume over that time peroid(1 week, or 4 weeks or 8 etc.....)

Regards,
Tom Barr
 

majstor

Junior Poster
Dec 14, 2009
18
0
1
Im also thinking of doing All in one EI because i have one peristaltic and dont want right now into cost of another. Im thinking of mixing standard EI mixtures, adding ascorbic acid and potassium sorbate and then mix macro and micro together. That should work ;)
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,696
747
113
That's not a hard to fix issue, have two reservoirs and one pump.
Pretty much everything but PO4 can be added together, but if the lines come together very close to the tank's dosing point from the pump(eg, this line is very short in length/time in that mixing), this should be okay I'd figure.

The other solution is to make the dosing stock solutions rather dilute.
Like 10X more so. This reduction should be fine, in aquariums, these typically have very little effect once dosed, so if the dilution is high, this should reduce the precipitation.
Not sure, but worth a try.

If you add some HCL, that should help or other strong acids(add these too the water 1st, wait a couple of minutes, then add the ferts to the water/acid mix).

Regards,
Tom Barr



Regards,
Tom Barr
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
I wonder how does Tropica make their all in one solution, the Plant Nutrition+ ? How do they manage to mix phosphates with Iron ?
 

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
3,210
2
36
Surprise, AZ
pH Is The Key

Hi,

I think the trick is in the whoops need a warning... :(

{Warning importance of pH being mentioned}
As I was saying the trick is the chelator and keeping the iron complexed, keeping the pH at 6 seem to be the key. :gw

As usual in these matters James seems to have the “solution,” he-he-he. :D:p:rolleyes:
http://www.jsctech.co.uk/theplantedtank/allinone.htm

Biollante
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Biollante;60279 said:
Hi,

I think the trick is in the whoops need a warning... :(

{Warning importance of pH being mentioned}
As I was saying the trick is the chelator and keeping the iron complexed, keeping the pH at 6 seem to be the key. :gw

As usual in these matters James seems to have the “solution,” he-he-he. :D:p:rolleyes:
http://www.jsctech.co.uk/theplantedtank/allinone.htm

Biollante

Thanks Bio. I reckon that only Tropica has the proper recipe/solution.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
1,150
9
38
Washington, DC
This is not the Colonel's secret recipe.

My dear young red fuzzy cheeks. The all in one formula seams rather strait forward to me.

Two things are going on, IMO.
  1. The dosing stock solution is rather dilute, 2.3g of KH2PO4 is about 1/3 a teaspoon.
  2. The other key, as Bio mentions, is to keep the stock solution at a pH of 6.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Hmm, pH of 6. Too low for my Goldies I think. Well, the bottom line is that you need to have/maimtain a pH of 6 for the "Tropica Plant Nutrition" to do it's job. Is it ?
 

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
1,150
9
38
Washington, DC
Not the tanks pH - in the bottle of stock solution. :cool:

:confused: As you know, KH in your water will have an effect on the type of chelator, Fe DTPA, Iron Gluconate, etc.
but I was talking about the stock solution.
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Lol, talking about flip-flop.

Tug;60305 said:
Not the tanks pH - in the bottle of stock solution. :cool:

:confused: As you know, KH in your water will have an effect on the type of chelator, Fe DTPA, Iron Gluconate, etc.
but I was talking about the stock solution.

I thought so at first but, I said to myself "it can't be the pH in the bottle".
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
3
0
1
barbarossa4122;60302 said:
Hmm, pH of 6. Too low for my Goldies I think. Well, the bottom line is that you need to have/maimtain a pH of 6 for the "Tropica Plant Nutrition" to do it's job. Is it ?

Hi

No problem with yours goldies even with ph bellow 5 and they Spam too !

Regards
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
ismenio;60308 said:
Hi

No problem with yours goldies even with ph bellow 5 and they Spam too !

Regards

Hello,

Great to hear that. I thought the proper pH for goldies is 7.2-7.6. Some ppl even told us that they will die if the pH goes down bellow 6.5 and I always did my best to keep it at 7 or a little above 7.