Aliens in Essex ?

EssexPete

Prolific Poster
Aug 13, 2006
Billericay, Essex, UK
I gave my Eheim 2217 a freshen-up today.
While I was refreshing the substrate, I found several creatures - about 1/2" long - any ideas as to what they are? - pic attached.
They must have been living in total darkness in the filter - I last cleaned it up early June.
Those that were alive didn't last long when I put them back in the tank.

Some years ago I had a similar experiance when cleaning the filter - I found 6 albino corys happily swimming around in the bottom of the filter - the eggs must have been sucked-up and they hatched and survived in the 1" space at the bottom of the filter - they were over 1/2" long - I put them in the tank and they're still living today!!

Thanks
Pete

quenton

Guru Class Expert
Mar 14, 2006
Toronto Ontario (Canada?)
Re: Aliens in Essex ?

They look like planaria worms. Boy, I had to dig that name from memory. The last time I ran into them was the year my parents gave may a microscope for christmas, must have been about 1959 or 1960 -- before you were born no doubt. Not they they related to the microscope, but the biology book that came with it had lots of neat stuff in it.

Anyway, seems they can appear in aquariums and it sure looks like the ones I ran into back then.

EssexPete

Prolific Poster
Aug 13, 2006
Billericay, Essex, UK

Thanks Quenton, but they don't look like worms, they had 6 legs, 2 eyes a mouth, shell-like (shrimp like) body and 2 fine whips at the back end.
Not easy to see from the crap pic I attached I know.
I have seen them before - somewhere and I vaguely recall they're a larvae of something.

Pete
Who was 2yrs old in 1959 !

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA

they had 6 legs, 2 eyes a mouth, shell-like (shrimp like) body and 2 fine whips at the back end.
How about Scuds?

quenton

Guru Class Expert
Mar 14, 2006
Toronto Ontario (Canada?)

EssexPete said:
Thanks Quenton, but they don't look like worms, they had 6 legs, 2 eyes a mouth, shell-like (shrimp like) body and 2 fine whips at the back end.
Not easy to see from the crap pic I attached I know.
I have seen them before - somewhere and I vaguely recall they're a larvae of something.

Pete
Who was 2yrs old in 1959 !

OK, then I vote for "aliens" -- maybe from pluto in retaliation for removing it from the list of planets in the solar system :D

EssexPete

Prolific Poster
Aug 13, 2006
Billericay, Essex, UK

Yikes - Plutonians in my tank :eek: I guess the temperature change must have been a shock for them.

I think I've identified them as Mayfly larvae (or something quite similar) I googled and found a far better pic than mine...

I just wonder how they got in there and have survived in the filter for so long.

Pete

mayfly_larvae1.jpg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Save Pluto, size does matter.