This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Aliens in Essex ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by EssexPete, Aug 25, 2006.

1. EssexPete

EssexPete Prolific Poster

I gave my Eheim 2217 a freshen-up today.
    While I was refreshing the substrate, I found several creatures - about 1/2" long - any ideas as to what they are? - pic attached.
    They must have been living in total darkness in the filter - I last cleaned it up early June.
    Those that were alive didn't last long when I put them back in the tank.

Some years ago I had a similar experiance when cleaning the filter - I found 6 albino corys happily swimming around in the bottom of the filter - the eggs must have been sucked-up and they hatched and survived in the 1" space at the bottom of the filter - they were over 1/2" long - I put them in the tank and they're still living today!!

Thanks
    Pete

2. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

Re: Aliens in Essex ?

They look like planaria worms. Boy, I had to dig that name from memory. The last time I ran into them was the year my parents gave may a microscope for christmas, must have been about 1959 or 1960 -- before you were born no doubt. Not they they related to the microscope, but the biology book that came with it had lots of neat stuff in it.

Anyway, seems they can appear in aquariums and it sure looks like the ones I ran into back then.

3. EssexPete

Thanks Quenton, but they don't look like worms, they had 6 legs, 2 eyes a mouth, shell-like (shrimp like) body and 2 fine whips at the back end.
    Not easy to see from the crap pic I attached I know.
    I have seen them before - somewhere and I vaguely recall they're a larvae of something.

Pete
    Who was 2yrs old in 1959 !

4. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

How about Scuds?

5. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

OK, then I vote for "aliens" -- maybe from pluto in retaliation for removing it from the list of planets in the solar system :D

6. EssexPete

Yikes - Plutonians in my tank :eek: I guess the temperature change must have been a shock for them.

I think I've identified them as Mayfly larvae (or something quite similar) I googled and found a far better pic than mine...

I just wonder how they got in there and have survived in the filter for so long.

Pete

Attached Files:

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Save Pluto, size does matter.

8. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

9. EssexPete